Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

How I recently got a turkey from frozen solid to table side in under 24 hours

allsidallsid Posts: 388
edited November 2012 in EggHead Forum
This was my first attempt at a bird earlier this fall.  It was done on a whim for a football game and as a dry run for thanksgiving.  Although I have shared this before, I thought it was relevant in case someone was sitting on a frozen bird with a time deadline looming.

This is what I wrote about the experience with some extra photos:

Here are a few pic's from the link-

Overnight thaw

The setup rig

Ready for roasting

Done

Carved

My defrost method was unorthodox but it worked for me.  If you are getting a late start on your bird, I have faith you can pull it off!  Just keep a positive attitude and it will turn out great!

Happy Turkey Day-

I would be honored if you liked my page on Facebook-  It's just getting going:
·

Comments

• Sgt93Sgt93 Posts: 704
    I'm doing my first turkey tomorrow, can't wait!
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A bunch of Webers - A bunch of accessories - Ceramic Grill Works 2-Tier 
    Follow me on Twitter & Instagram: @SSgt93
    ·
  • njlnjl Posts: 785
    Isn't thawing frozen meat in warm water the fasttrack to food poisoning?
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 6,908
    njl said:

Isn't thawing frozen meat in warm water the fasttrack to food poisoning?

The proper way to defrost a frozen bird is in the fridge or in a cold water bath...replacing the water every 30 min.

Just a hack that makes some **** BBQ...
    ·
  • allsidallsid Posts: 388
    edited November 2012
    "My defrost method was unorthodox but it worked for me"
    I am no food scientist, so use discretion.  It's what worked for me at the time.  
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 6,908
    allsid said:

"My defrost method was unorthodox but it worked for me"

I am no food scientist, so use discretion.  It's what worked for me at the time.  

It's all gravy baby! Lol

Just don't want people encouraged to try your method. Happy it worked for you and the family! The end result looked great!

I picked up a fresh 19.5 # bird at Costco for $20 so I'm glad I didn't have to bother with thawing a frozen bird this year. What are you doing this year??

Just a hack that makes some **** BBQ...
    ·