Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cinnamon in a rib rub?

Options
njl
njl Posts: 1,123
To be different, I'm planning on making baby back ribs for Thanksgiving.  I've seen a few (just a few) rub recipes that use 1 tsp or so of ground cinnamon.  I wonder how that would go if I added it to my usual rub which is brown sugar, kosher salt, ground black pepper, chili powder, paprika, and cayenne pepper (in that order of most to least)?

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    It's a good combo.  Cloves and cinnamon are in all kinds of stuff you don't think about like pastrami - most Italian charcuterie, etc.  You want it to be subtle, and it should be if you follow the recipe.  Cinnamon isn't commonly associated as a savory spice, but it is used as one very frequently.
    Options
    Cinnamon and other 'pumpkin pie' spices are used with great fanfare in Cincinnati and other chili and many unsuspecting BBQ recipes. When I cook up an Egg full of rib racks, as I did yesterday, at least one rack is for 'development' to try out new rubs and whatnot. And so let us know how they come out! 
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    I like cinnamon in my rib rub. I also use coriander, thyme, onion powder, garlic powder, pepper, cayenne pepper and salt. Good combination of sweet and spice.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Cinnamon can be a nice addition. It can also overwhelm really quickly. Start small....you can always add more.

Happy rubbin!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    A couple of pinches would work well.

Texas style chili powders usually have some oregano in them. I'm not sure the cinnamon would go so well w. that, but just mixes of dried capsicum would blend o.k. I think.
  • njl
    Options
    I put a teaspoon in a jar of my home made rub about the size a 12oz soda can.  I used most of that jar on the 3 racks.  I'll be cooking this evening.
  • njl
    Options
    Well, I'd meant for these to be turbo, but looking at my log, I don't think I can really call them that.  I put them on a 350F dome egg, but lost temperature when I put them in.  I figured it was just the 8.5lbs of cold meat and didn't adjust anything until almost an hour had passed.

2:10pm 350F dome, ribs on the egg in rib rack
    2:25pm 290F dome
    2:55pm 280F dome, opened DFMT petals from half to full, cracked bottom vent a little more
    3:15pm 290F dome        
    3:30pm 320F dome, cracked DFMT
    3:45pm 375F dome, closed DFMT back to just the petals, boated with apple cider
    5:15pm 350F dome, removed from boat, sauced, put back on grid
    5:30pm finished saucing.   
    6:10pm 330F dome removed to glass dish and foiled 30min

1.5-1.5-.66  I probably could have stopped at 1.5-1.5-0.5

4 hours for baby backs...not exactly turbo.  :)

But they came out excellent.  If I didn't know I'd added 1tsp cinnamon, I wouldn't have guessed it.  Some bites I thought maybe I could taste a hint of it.  It certainly wasn't overpowering, and I don't think anyone else noticed it.  My wife likes ribs to fall off the bone, and I've done the above sort of method before, but never quite gotten to FOTB.  This time, I gave it an extra 30min in the boat, and it seems that made the difference.  As I started cutting up the first half rack, some of the meat was just falling off the bones.