Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moldy Egg

I'm sad to come here with this issue.  I am a personal chef and when I leave the farm, anything goes.  The short of it is this,  the egg was and still is stored where I absolutely said it wasn't to be stored.   In a damp musty stinky shed that houses all things lawn and garden related, including stacks of fertilizer, which puts a stench throughout the shed.  When I came back from Maine a week ago,  I went looking for the egg,  kinda like an Easter egg hunt.  The lawn shed was the last place I wanted to look, but when I cracked the door open,  there it was sitting in there without even it's cover on it.  

When I opened the lid,  I almost vomited on site.   The stainless rack is covered with a coating of FUZZY mold and the whole interior of the egg has a mold layer on it as well.   

Anybody out there know what to do about this situation?  I know that soap and water is out of the question,  so do I just wipe as much off as possible and then load it with charcoal and let it run at high temp to burn it off or is it toast?   

Any input as to what to do would be appreciated.   Thanks and have a great T-day ahead.  The good news is that I won't be cooking with it for T-day.. ;o))

Comments

• Just do a hot burn.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• now that is FAST Little Steven...;o)   is one burn going to do it??  what about the wipe down or is that not needed??  OBTW,  I LOVE your picture of the Egg snowman.  before I left,  I explained that the egg is weather proof and can take staying outdoors with no issue, but what do I know,  I'm only the chef.  the gardener is the BRAINS of the farm,  which is why I prefer not to be here..
  • Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
    I had mold start several months ago when I was on vacation.  I had the same reaction but my friends told me not to worry.  Like Little Steven says---just fill it and burn it.

Good Luck
  • Just the burn will do it. My wife and daughter did that to one of my eggs years back. I'm in Canada so mold isn't really a problem but I have had it a couple of times in the summer. People in more humid climates get it regularly on eggs that aren't used for a while.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• It my be best to pack it up and ship it to me I will do some mold testing to make sure all mold is gone, this will take several months and a lot of charcoal so also send 10 bags of lump
    Life is short,love what you do or do something else
  • It my be best to pack it up and ship it to me I will do some mold testing to make sure all is gone, this will take several months and a lot of charcoal so also send 10 bags of lump
    I'm sorry beerman,  I thought this was a forum for adults???  this may seem like a JOKE to you, but I'm taking it seriously.  do U not have anything useful to do with your time????  please leave me alone cause life is short and I wish you would DO SOMETHING ELSE somewhere else... UNLESS U WERE SERIOUS ABOUT SHIPPING IT TO YOU WITH BAGS OF CHARCOAL???
  • Just do a hot burn.

Dan4BBQ said:
    I had mold start several months ago when I was on vacation.  I had the same reaction but my friends told me not to worry.  Like Little Steven says---just fill it and burn it.

Good Luck
    thanks to the REAL PEOPLE out there for your input unlike the beerboy~~~
  • Learn how to laugh u will have have a better life. U were already given great advice nothing more to add don't try to add drama where there is none
  • Zick
    Zick Posts: 190
    A good long hot burn fixes all. An initial wipe down may help a bit. I would probably do it but if it is hot and long enough it most likely won't be necessary.
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    High temp, clean burn is the way to go. As a friend once said, "fire is a very good sanitizer".
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • Just opened mine and same thing!  Gonna burn this bad boy today getting ready for tomorrow!  Good luck!
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    One thing I found helps prevent this issue - after a cook when I know I won't be using the egg for a while, is to let the temp go up to about 450 for about 10 - 15 minutes before shutting it down.  Kind of a mini clean burn.  This burns up all the grease and food particles left in the Egg, which is what your mold is growing on. 
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Just opened mine and same thing!  Gonna burn this bad boy today getting ready for tomorrow!  Good luck!
    Welcome back stranger!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• BGElovr
    BGElovr Posts: 83
    edited November 2012
     BBQBeerman was flagged as a troll for that comment? Really?
    It my be best to pack it up and ship it to me I will do some mold testing to make sure all mold is gone, this will take several months and a lot of charcoal so also send 10 bags of lump

• BGElovr said:
    It my be best to pack it up and ship it to me I will do some mold testing to make sure all mold is gone, this will take several months and a lot of charcoal so also send 10 bags of lump

Hello. Anyone home?
  • newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231

EggerinLA said:
    BGElovr said:

Hello. Anyone home?
    Good grief.  It was a harmless joke.  
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • newegg13 said:

EggerinLA said:
    BGElovr said:

Hello. Anyone home?

Thank you. Enjoy.
  • newegg13 said:

EggerinLA said:
    BGElovr said:

Hello. Anyone home?
    Don't worry about it....consider the source. He's flagged me fourty times and I've had no dialogue with him at all.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• He's mad at my joke he needs to be made at who put his egg in the shed if he even has an egg
  • It's Egger in LA that flagged you. Just one of our trolls. The OP didn't flag you but bitched you out a bit unnecessarily.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• It's Egger in LA that flagged you. Just one of our trolls. The OP didn't flag you but bitched you out a bit unnecessarily.

Liar. The OP did flag him. Now enjoy.
  • I stand corrected. I will disengage now.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Whatever if u cannot take a joke your life must be miserable.
  • @Eggstassy.  Here is my set up to prevent mold in the large.  First the large is on the lower patio and it sets about 9 feet from the fence line.  
    We have been in and out of burn bans for two years.  I have not used the large since May or June.  Mold grows in the large because of the hot sun warms it up at night cools down which causes condensation which encourages mold growth.  I have done this set up fro 4 years now and have not had any problem with mold.

why large is sparsely used
    Yes that is very dry tender
    the cap set up
    HDAL snake
    Was cleaned after last use several months ago.   No mold present when I loaded up the lump for tomorrow's turkey
    bottom vent alway open to allow circulation (screen closed to keep eight legged critters out)

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx