Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Turkey spice advice

I'm doing my first turkey ever. I've checked out mad maxx recipe. But anyway I'm thinking about mixing butter and rosemary together and rub down the turkey, drop pan with water, scallions and onions? Question.. Think it's a good plan? It's a 21lb bird. My FIL is smoking a 21lb turkey as well... I want mine to be better :-) were having about 30 people for Thanksgiving.. Hence the 42lbs of turkey
·

Comments

• Also where would you put food temp probes? I have three of em' from the cyber q
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,666
    You aren't gonna have much leftovers .

Yeah, that sounds good.  Me - I'd do Mickey's coffee rub - or DP Red eye.  People would be fighting for your turkey, and since you have two, they could always go for the FIL's if they didn't.

·
  • How much red eye should I use? A light dusting/heavy? Would this be in place of the rosemary/butter mix
    ·
  • What's mickeys coffee rub?
    ·
    courtesy Mickey:

I will use a coffee rub (see below) Use what you like.
    NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND)
    I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan.
    Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 160 and thigh @ 180
    Please let set for 20 to 30 mins to rest before cutting.
    Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)
    Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee
    Equal part: Brown Sugar
    ½ part: Black Pepper
    ½ part: Kosher Salt
    ½ part: Garlic Powder
    ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder

·
    I'd apply liberally maybe get some under the skin.  No butter or anything else needed.  Coffee rub doesn't taste like coffee - it is really, really good.  The red eye DP is probably my favorite (depends on what I'm cooking). 

·
  • The red eye is pre made... That's attractive. So liberally rub it on and mild smoke(I'm doing apple.. So a lot of smoke =hardly any)
    ·
    Perfect.  That's it!

·
  • I just tried the red eye dp... Does the spiciness cook out of the turkey? That would be my only issue with red eye express. Also would brown sugar and red eye marry together to help cut the heat? Any other dp spices be good. I raging river, original dp, coarse dp rub?
    ·
    It's not hot spicy after cooking.  You should try an experiment with a chicken - try different rubs.  Not all that different from a turkey in the way the rub will taste post cooking.

·
  • Unfortunately I don't really have that option... Living with the in laws and all. So it's not to spicy, and you cover the turkey with the red eye express eh?
    ·
  • Man, Traditional herbs for turkey are parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme and sometimes savoury. Rosemary is the strongest of all of them. I would mix the rest in, maybe not the savoury cause it's pretty strong too. Sorry about the Simon and Garfunkle thing just there.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • BrownieBrownie Posts: 1,022

The red eye is pre made... That's attractive. So liberally rub it on and mild smoke(I'm doing apple.. So a lot of smoke =hardly any)
    In my experience poultry can (will) take on more smoke than pork or beef. Especially if you are doing a low and slow. But you would know better than me on how much smoke your taste buds enjoy.
    ·
  • So brownie:
    How many apply chunks would you toss in? We're cooking at 350
    ·
    This is up to you. Have you cooked any chicken with smoke?
    ·
    At 350 you will get far less mileage from your chunks than you would a much lower temp. I'm not trying to sway your cook, because everyone has different tastes, but I say not enough is better than too much.
    ·
    maybe 3 fist size. that is only my opinion, and we all know what @Lousubcap says about them
    ·
  • I've used Hickory and over smoked it before.. But I don't recall ever over smoking chicken with Apple chips
    ·
  • Ok.. After all that talk... I have decided to do msd maxxs version.. Just the bird side of things
    ·
  • SaltySamSaltySam Posts: 385

@Nolaegghead

Can I substitute fresh ground coffee for the instant expresso? 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

·
  • newegg13newegg13 Posts: 231
    As to the smoke, after reading a lot of turkey threads, I'm going with between half a handful of chips to one whole chunk.  As @Brownie says, though, it's personal taste.  
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
    ·
    SaltySam said:

@Nolaegghead

Can I substitute fresh ground coffee for the instant expresso? 

Maybe if you powdered it in a spice mill.  I've never tried it.  You don't want it gritty.

·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,120

Here's what's going on the turkey tomorrow. I'm going to rename this Mickey's Plus Plus Expresso Rub. Although we have some of the same ingredients, I've added 5 more and rearranged the measurements. If you like coffee rubs, give this one a try.

1 Tbs. finely ground espresso coffee beans
    1 Tbs. pure ancho chile powder
    1 tsp. natural cocoa powder
    1 tsp. granulated garlic
    1/2 tsp. ground cumin
    1/2 tsp. brown sugar
    1/2 tsp. ground fennel seed
    1/8 tsp. ground allspice
    4 tsp. kosher salt
    2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·