Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wings, wings and more wings

hondabbq
hondabbq Posts: 1,980

Ok so I have had my egg for a few months now and have cooked many of the normal favorites-ie Brisket, butts, wings, burgers, steaks pork chops etc.

I have had some learining curves with each one and am getting better each time.

I think for me wings are my favorite on the egg. Butts are a close second but they take sooo long. Worth the wait, dont get me wrong.

What are some recipes you guys and gals have for wings?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Give it a search-and while the search function here is most weak-try google and after wings add "big green egg". That should yield too many great recipes.  I have around a dozen or more that I cannabilize about 2-3 times a month.  Somebody's gotta eat 'em!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    We like ours rubbed with dizzy pig Jamaican firewalk put them on at 350 direct a chunk of apple and cherry each for about 25-30 minutes turning every 5 minutes or so!
  • Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    We usually serve them with sweet baby ray's wing sauce and blue cheese dressing served on the side with raw celery and carrots!
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    I give them a nice overnight soak in beer with some salt and garlic, then onto the BGE at about 350 dome temp direct with raised grate, dress with a 50/50 sauce of Franks/melted butter and some blu-cheese salad dressing.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I've done Cazzy's wings and they are great.  Another great recipe can be found on the Dizzy Pig website.  The wings are breaded and almost like fried chicken.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    One thing that's not in the recipe is it really helps with the heat level if you let the marinade chill for a few days prior to using it. This allows the chili flakes to steep.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited November 2012
    Cazzy's wings are great on the egg. Takes a couple of days to get the marinade ready then marinate, but worth it.

I've even used his marinade for ribs. very good...
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    cazzy said:
    One thing that's not in the recipe is it really helps with the heat level if you let the marinade chill for a few days prior to using it. This allows the chili flakes to steep.

my plan is to make the marinade tonight and then add the wings tomorrow night for a cook wednesday night.  question- how many wings/drumettes or #'s does 1 batch of your marinade accommodate?
  • cazzy

XLBalco said:
    cazzy said:

my plan is to make the marinade tonight and then add the wings tomorrow night for a cook wednesday night.  question- how many wings/drumettes or #'s does 1 batch of your marinade accommodate?
    I just fill up a gallon bag 3/4 full with wings.  I think it works out to about 3-4 dozen wings.  

If you don't have time to let it sit, you could use some chili oil to add instant heat.  
  • XLBalco
    works for me!  thanks!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited November 2012

hondabbq said:
    Last nights dinner.
    Honda, Looks awesome! If you get the chance go to a butcher that deals in free range birds 5 - 7 lbs. Wings are huge and it allows you extra time to get the skin ckin crisp without overcooking the meat. This is a large egg.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• XLBalco

so i made the marinade last night.. realized i didnt have chili flakes until it was too late and used crushed red pepper.. close enough eh? :)

gonna throw the wings and marinade together tonight.

• XLBalco
    Should of doubled up on the marinade. The bag took it all with the wings and I have none left now lol when I cook them tomorrow
  • cazzy
    XLBalco said:

Should of doubled up on the marinade. The bag took it all with the wings and I have none left now lol when I cook them tomorrow

One guy boiled the marinade after removing the chicken. I'm sure a few here will chime in on how safe it is. Could be a option.

• Skiddymarker
    edited November 2012
    Last batch of Cazzy's wings, two day marinade - lots of zip! 

I boil the marinade, it will reduce to syrup like candy with attitude... Best dipping sauce there is. 

I do about 36, 1/2 drummers, 1/2 flappers in the recipe. I also have used this on asian style ribs, not cooked in a rack, rather cooked as individuals. The candy sauce is super popular. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • cazzy

I boil the marinade, it will reduce to syrup like candy with attitude... Best dipping sauce there is. 
    But do you boil the used merinade? Since you're still alive, it could be a option for him to baste with.

• cazzy said:

But do you boil the used merinade? Since you're still alive, it could be a option for him to baste with.
    Cazzy - you bet it is the used marinade I boil and use. As long as the marinade is boiled (side burner of the gasser) for 5 to 10 minutes it is safe to use as a basting or dipping sauce. The first couple of batches of your wings, I reserved some marinade for basting, per the recipe, worked great. Later batches, I just pour it all in the zip lock. As the wings go on the egg, I start the gasser side burner and by the time the first baste is due, it has been bubbling away for some time. By the last baste, it is a super syrupy sauce. SWMBO likes it so it must be good! 

Started doing this with Rocky Mountain pork. Wanted a sauce or gravy substitute to serve with it (pork tenderloins in a soy/ginger based marinade). Finally, just boiled the marinade, reduced it with a touch of wine and it was a success. Try it. 
  • XLBalco
    eesh.. i gotta over my own fears on doing that :)
  • Skiddymarker
    edited November 2012
    @XLBalco - Google using a boiled marinade. There are a number of government sites that also offer good advice. The overlay of flavor is quite remarkable and well worth the effort on some cooks. I understand your reluctance, shared the same view for years. Sometimes not knowing what goes on in the kitchen lets you enjoy the meal, or as my Irish Grandma always said - "Ignorance is bliss". 

(by ignorance she meant not knowing, rather than being rude or impolite)