Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Table/Fire Bricks

Options
My brother in law is building me a beautiful custom Cypress table for the XL. Can someone give me the lowdown on what kind of fire bricks I need for the egg to set on? Thanks.

Comments

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    I don't have mine on fire bricks.  I've got mine on an 18X18 tile, but I use a table nest to have an air gap.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Options
    Like a piece of Ceramic tile? Which table nest do you have? The feet?
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options

Yes, just a simple ceramic tile from Lowes.  The table nest is a small stand that will lift your egg off whatever and gives you about 2" of an air gap between the egg and in my case the tile.  My egg dealer charged me $17 for it.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Table nest was the right solution for me, this is under my MBGE. Even on long cooks the tile surface under it is warm, but cool enough to touch. The added benefit is that it is easier to clean as a pan fits under the egg and you just rake the ashes out. I couldn't do that when it sat on a paver. 

BTW, that is my $$$store drip pan rack on the lower right. $1 and it sits on the setter, raises the drip pan. It is "crud" level stainless, but for <$1, it is almost cheaper than tin foil balls. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Options
    Cool, thanks! Got what I needed.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Table nest was the right solution for me, this is under my MBGE. Even on long cooks the tile surface under it is warm, but cool enough to touch. The added benefit is that it is easier to clean as a pan fits under the egg and you just rake the ashes out. I couldn't do that when it sat on a paver. 

BTW, that is my $$$store drip pan rack on the lower right. $1 and it sits on the setter, raises the drip pan. It is "crud" level stainless, but for <$1, it is almost cheaper than tin foil balls. 
    Is that a homemade ash-tool or a Wolverine's back-scratcher next to the daisy wheel?

Either way, it's awesome!
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Speaking of fire bricks.  I just bought a few of them to use a raised second grid in my egg.  Do I need to do anything to these bricks before putting them in my grill with food cooking?
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    Speaking of fire bricks.  I just bought a few of them to use a raised second grid in my egg.  Do I need to do anything to these bricks before putting them in my grill with food cooking?
    You could wrap them in foil to keep drippings off then, similar to a plate setter. Otherwise, no.
  • Nativetexan
    Options
    I'm in the process of completing my table now and used terra cotta plant risers. Found them at home depot for $5 and they're working great.
  • brownbw
    brownbw Posts: 154
    Options
    So the egg table nest is 2" tall? I am currently building my table and the table nest seems much easier to remove ashes. Gotta go find a dealer with one ASAP. My local dealer doesn't carry them.

Yes, just a simple ceramic tile from Lowes.  The table nest is a small stand that will lift your egg off whatever and gives you about 2" of an air gap between the egg and in my case the tile.  My egg dealer charged me $17 for it.

Opelika, AL
  • brownbw
    brownbw Posts: 154
    Options
    And great idea about the dollar store rack!!!
    Opelika, AL
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I would imagine a welding shop could make one similar and not too expensive
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SamFerrise
    Options
    If you use a plain old ceramic tile it will shatter and you will fry your table.  Fire bricks are available at most brick supply stores.  I found them for $1.75 each.  The sizes I found are 2" x 4" x 8"  and 1" x 4 " x 8".  I bought 8 of each and I can make almost any indirect configuration.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.