Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stand-up Chicken - Advice Please

Options
Kyle
Kyle Posts: 156
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good morning fellow eggers.
Last night I did a standup chicken. I basted it with extra virgin olive oil and cooked it over a inverted place setter and drip pan at
around 330 degrees dome temp until it had an internal temp of 186 degrees.(a little over 1 hour)
It was just so so.
If anything, it was too moist. It would have been better if it had been dryer.
I would appreciate any thoughts you might share as to what to do on the next cook.
Cook longer and slower? Hotter and faster? Cook direct? Other thoughts? [p]Thank you[p][p]

Comments

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    Kyle,[p]Do you mean you want crispy skin or dried out meat?

• Kyle
    Options
    katman,
    I would like crispy skin and meat that is somewhat drier.

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    Kyle,[p]Try cooking direct at about 325 or take it to about 400 for the indirect cook. Leave your top vent open enough to "fit your finger in the slot" and control temp with the bottom. The bottom won't be open much if you have a good fire going.

• Adrian B.
    Adrian B. Posts: 124
    Options
    Kyle, I always cook mine direct on a raised grid at ~375 dome temp. The skin is always a beautiful brown and crispy. The insides are always perfectly moist. Letting it sit for about 10-15 minutes will let the juices distribute really well to keep it from being too moist in one spot. [p]Try it again. :)

• Kyle
    Options
    vr6Cop,
    I appreciate your suggestion. I will do that next time.[p]Have a good day.

• Kyle
    Options
    katman,
    I appreciate your help.[p]Have a nice day.[p]
    Kyle

• Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Options
    Kyle,
    About a month ago, I did spatchcock chicken for the first time. I did one plain and one injected. [p]The plain one was delicious. Nice skin, good flavor, moist and tender.[p]The injected one was so moist, the texture seemed undercooked. Cooking on the Egg is a big adjustment for people who are used to normal grills. The recipes you did in the past to make dry meats moist are kind of an overkill on the Egg. Heavily marinated poultry can be almost nasty, even though that's what you have to do on most grills to keep boneless, skinless chicken from being dry as cardboard.