Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning SS

Options
Anyone have a magic bullet to clean stainless steel with stains from being on the grill?

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options
    I use Bar Keepers Friend and Blue Scotchbrites on all my stainless brewing equipment.  Works great for me.
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    +1 on the Bar Keepers Friend

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    The surface is as smooth as glass, just has these stains.  I used Bar Keepers and a Scotchbrite.  I was thinking of very fine sandpaper.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    A super fine wet sandpaper (>1000 grit) with water might take them out.
    Options

fine sandpaper might work, but NO steel wool that may lead to rusting, if you do use sand paper, when done give a good scrub with the BKF again it will help the passificaion of the newly exposed SS.

Since it looks like it may be organic stains, if you have a homebrew shop in the area a good soak in hot PBW (Powdered Brewery Wash) might help.  Last ditch effort would be some professional strength caustic used in breweries to clean all the SS, but is very very (oh hell one more) very dangerous if you don't have experience using it.

The caustic, and the PBW are made to work on organic "stuff" and in time will break it down.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    One I've only used for serving, and one for cooking.