Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

No Smoked Turkey For Me!

I did a practice turkey on my BGE that came out pretty darned good. However, the Mrs. said that it was a little dry. Really? It was wonderful. Then, it occurred to me that the reason she didn't like it was not because it was dry, but rather because she wants to cook a traditional turkey for Thanksgiving. She loves everything else off the Egg, but turkey. She didn't even want me to practice cook another one. I figured it out.

So, standard Butterball in a Reynolds bag for the extended family. Mmmm. Wink. 

Anyone else have this problem?
XL BGE w/CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
North Tahoe, CA
·

Comments

• Do two. B-)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • For this exact reason, we're roasting two 10 lb. turkeys. One traditional with stuffing in the oven.  The other, spatchcocked on the Egg. Different, delicious leftovers for everyone.
    ·
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,725
    edited November 2012

Tastes better cooked in the egg, so we do it in the egg.  Simple as that.

Packerland, Wisconsin

·

• Tastes better cooked in the egg, so we do it in the egg.  Simple as that.
    I agree. Plus, it frees up the oven for whatever the wife is cooking.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,059
    Interesting, this month's Cook's Illustrated had an article about cooking the TG bird on a grill to free up the oven, and how to avoid the smoke flavor (guess its a common thing!)  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • Botch said:
    Interesting, this month's Cook's Illustrated had an article about cooking the TG bird on a grill to free up the oven, and how to avoid the smoke flavor (guess its a common thing!)  
    Yeah, I know a lot of people (mainly females for some reason) that don't like a lot or any smoke.  If you get a "clean" fire going and don't add any smoke wood, you won't taste any smoke at all on your food.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • qprhooliganqprhooligan Posts: 118
    edited November 2012
    I love smoked turkey. But for thanksgiving I like roasting it in the oven. I like to smell that turkey cooking while I,m watching football, etc... It is good to mix it up a bit IMHO.
    ·
  • I don't want to step on my wife's toes by taking over or even supplementing her traditional 40+ year job of doing the turkey. That's the real problem, not that the practice BGE turkey was really dry. It occurred to me that she doesn't want to be replaced. Who does? She didn't come right out and say that, but that's what I realized was going on. Yes, it's a personal issue and may not affect others the same way.

The guys will watch football while the ladies are in the kitchen and the kids and dogs are running around. 

Happy T-day to all!
    XL BGE w/CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
    North Tahoe, CA
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,810
    i do two because my sister doesnt like smoked bird, then she eats off the smoked one anyways. well  i like the stuffing done in an oven bird but im not telling her that.
    ·
  • BigWaderBigWader Posts: 581
    I don't want to step on my wife's toes by taking over or even supplementing her traditional 40+ year job of doing the turkey. That's the real problem, not that the practice BGE turkey was really dry. It occurred to me that she doesn't want to be replaced. Who does? She didn't come right out and say that, but that's what I realized was going on. Yes, it's a personal issue and may not affect others the same way.

The guys will watch football while the ladies are in the kitchen and the kids and dogs are running around. 

Happy T-day to all!
    I think it is great that you understand your wife so well and will step aside to watch football and drink.  Seriously though - good on you for listening to the unspoken work.  Happy wife - Happy Life   ^:)^

Large BGE

·
  •  
    I think it is great that you understand your wife so well and will step aside to watch football and drink.  Seriously though - good on you for listening to the unspoken work.  Happy wife - Happy Life   ^:)^

I recently mad the same mistake about Lasagna, lesson learned do not step on the wife toes and her recipes.

Edina, MN

·