Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

gaskets

MY GASKETS ARE COMPLETLY GONE DO I HAVE TO HAVE GASKETS ON MY LBGE?

Comments

• No you do not. I have had no gasket on my xl for a long time. I've had no problems.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    No you do not. I have had no gasket on my xl for a long time. I've had no problems.
    travis, did you scrape off the remnants to get ceramic on ceramic? Mine has been beyond fried for a while but I see a lot of smoke from the rear of the egg. I haven't seen too much temp creep, so I have been debating replacing it. I still see the leaks even after adjusting the dome to compensate. 
  • My dome alignment changes all the time. It almost always leaks smoke but it doesn't have any negative side effects.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • My egg always leaked on the right side until I put a Rutland on it. Now it doesn't leak at all. I know that doesn't answer the question of whether a gasket is needed, but if the leaking bothers you, a Rutland will probably fix it.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • The only drawback from almost a year without gaskets on an XL and a LBGE is that the domes look dirty from the smoke.  Cooking does not seem to be affected at all.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    My egg always leaked on the right side until I put a Rutland on it. Now it doesn't leak at all. I know that doesn't answer the question of whether a gasket is needed, but if the leaking bothers you, a Rutland will probably fix it.
    It's bothers be me even though it's probably just aesthetic and not function-compromising. Just because "it isn't supposed happen". Apparently, it's really difficult to have these type of anal-retentive idiosyncrasies when observing a low and slow.
  • It's bothers be me even though it's probably just aesthetic and not function-compromising. Just because "it isn't supposed happen". Apparently, it's really difficult to have these type of anal-retentive idiosyncrasies when observing a low and slow.
    I get it! Mine would bother me when I would stare at it. So 2 Sunday's ago I changed mine out. I just scraped off the old one on the bottom, cleaned and sanded it, and put the Rutland on with the Permatex Copper. No more leak. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • I have been without one since June and don't see a difference. I will however install a rutland if I ever install a gasket.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    I went Rutland 2 months ago and it is great! I don't care about the sealing but padding the lid is nice, and I'm not ask scared when the wife touches it which is rare but she isn't too soft with it
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    If it's under Warranty you can get a free nomex....why not?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    I noticed longer shut down times (and, consequently, more charcoal consumption) without a gasket.  Also worried about chipping the ceramic when the handle slipped out of my hand.  Replaced the lower gasket with the fabled Rutland/Permatex combination... Left the dome alone.