Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh Ham???

Options
I'm thinking of doing a whole ham on the Egg for Thanksgiving. Any ideas on how to prep it and cook it? I was thinking sort of like Honey Baked Ham. I have family coming up Friday, so I assume I'll need to start it Friday night. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited November 2012
    Options

Is this a cooked ham or raw ham?

95% guess is cooked.......

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    Not sure...haven't bought it yet. This is my first attempt. What do you suggest?
    Athens, GA
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    edited November 2012
    Options

Here's one from thefood network, sub BGE for oven.

Ingredients

For the glaze:

For the ham:

• 1 (8 to 10-pound) smoked, unglazed ham
    • Whole cloves

For the salsa:

• 1 red jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
    • 1 pineapple, peeled, cored and quartered
    • 2 mangos, peeled and cored
    • 1 red onion, minced
    • 2 tablespoons olive oil
    • 1/2 lemon, juiced
    • Salt
    • Pepper

For the glaze:

Directions

Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large saute pan. Once heated, add the onions and garlic and saute until the onions become translucent. Remove pan from the heat and carefully add cognac (the alcohol can flame up). Return the pan to the heat and let reduce for 2 minutes. Add mustards, pineapple juice, apple juice, brown sugar and honey. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Turn down heat to low and allow to reduce by 1/3, about 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside.

For the ham:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Slice ham diagonally approximately 1 1/2 to 2-inches deep. From left to right and then right to left, making diamonds on top of ham. In each point of a diamond, press in a clove. Place ham in roasting pan, on cooking rack. Add small amount of water to base of pan to keep drippings from burning. Place in oven and bake for 1 1/2 hours.

For the salsa:

Preheat an oiled grill pan over medium-high heat.

Grill the pineapple and mango slices until grill marked and caramelized, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove and let cool, then slice fruit into 1/2 by 1/2-inch. Toss in large bowl, with the remaining ingredients to combine. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.

Liberally apply mustard glaze to ham and bake the ham for another 30 minutes or until the glaze begins to turn brown and caramelize. Remove, cover with foil and let rest for 10 minutes. Slice and serve with salsa.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Get a cooked ham. One of the best is Cooks Ham.

NAKED HAM / SMOKE ONLY

Let me start that for the past 6 years i have only cooked Egerts Ham (this is an outstanding ham Egged on the BGE).
    A short while ago went looking for (did not know this at the time) a naked ham / smoke only. Thank you Wayne (Thirdeye)for the hand holding. Also thanks to Richard and Gary (Village Idiot)and Kent and Chubby for all the emails and calls on other ways to do a ham w/o the burbon, maple syrup, brown sugar, no anything. Guys this was outstanding ham. It tasted like ham. It was a 7 lb Cooks ham (shank) and NOTHING was put on it (Nothing). Just smoke: both lots of pecan and cherry chunks. Cooked at 300 till 145/155. I did score the ham deep.

imageimage
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    Okay, after looking around online, I think I'll go with a pre-cured cooked ham. How long should I expect, per pound? Egret's looks to be only 5 hrs or so for a 10 lb ham. Does this sound right?
    Athens, GA
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    A pre-cured cooked ham only needs the time to bring it back to warm, 140F-ish. It could be eaten cold. I'd expect a much shorter time. Maybe 2 hours w. dome 350F.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    use egrets recipe, and the cooking directions on the ham you buy, temps and times will be on the ham. be careful when buying the ham, some are spiral cut, you dont want that one
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Fresh ham, cooked without curing is pork roast, just so you know.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Fresh ham, cooked without curing is pork roast, just so you know.
    When my husband's father died, a friend of the family smoked a fresh ham for us. It was really tasty. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia