Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

marinating question

I was cooking 8 lbs of wings over the weekend and decided to marinate them overnight. I did not have one bowl big enough so i decided to use two square tupperware containers. My problem was it took 5 bottles of marinate to cover all of the wings!! Is there a different way to marinate these without going broke on marinate.(maybe thin it down with something?) probably a dumb question but the wings were great and I will be making them a lot more and don't want to spend more on the marinate than the wings!! Any advice??

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited November 2012
    You can try to create your own marinade or attempt to replicate it through "reverse engineering"..

Otherwise, try thinning with beer or an ingredient in the marinade(vinegar, citrus). Water can just wash out flavors. Taste prior to mixing with the chicken parts.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited November 2012
    Ziplock baggies.
    +1, the large freezer bags can hold maybe 3-4# of wings without cramming them in. Pour in the marinate and then squeeze out the air. One bottle per bag and you are done. You can just flip the bag over every once in while. Easy

Also, depending on the marinade used, don't just throw it out. We often boil the marinade for 5-10 minutes, reducing and sterilizing it and use it as a dipping sauce. Cazzy's wing marinade is like candy when reduced. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    ziplocks squeezing it all together to get the air out. cutting the wing tips off then cutting them into drummets and wingets packs them even tighter so you use less marinade
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    edited November 2012
    Ziplock baggies.

+1000 Bigger sizes (1 gallon) for lots of wings, medium sized for small stuff. I keep the remaining marinade in the ziplock and use it for basting during the cook. Also +1 fishless for cutting off the wing tips for space/marinade and grid space while cooking
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • MOvikingsfan
    MOvikingsfan Posts: 80
    edited November 2012
    I'm gonna try that!! I knew there had to be a better way........thanks guys for the info!!!