Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to the EGG and the FORUM

Hello everyone,
I purchased a Big Green Egg last spring, custom built the table and cooked a few hamburgers, and roasts and used the basic rub found in the Big Green Egg cookbook. Boy was the food ever tasty. At first, my wife wasn't all that happy with me for spending all that money on a barbecue ! I told her that I was tired of spending four or five hundred dollars on what were supposed to be fairly decent gas grills that ended up rusting out within a couple of years and winding up at the scrap yard. She now thinks that I made the right decision. She loves everything that I have produced so far on the BGE. The problem is that I haven't had that much opportunity to play with my new toy due to health reasons. I have now recovered and now it is time to get serious although it is now November in Canada. In a true Cannuck style, I will continue to BBQ right through the January and February blizzards. I do look forward to being a part of the BGE community. 
Happy BBQing and a Happy turkey day to our neighbors to the south.

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

Comments

• Welcome, Bob.

Rule #1:  Take pictures of your cooks and post them on the forum.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    @FlashkaBob - where in Canukistan are you?  I'm in Toronto myself and there are lots of other Canadian eggheaders here too.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• I will have to remember that. I have been curing a brisket for the past 3 days and plan on giving Schwartz's Montreal Smoked Meat a try this coming weekend. It will be my 1st attempt. Where should I post the pics?

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• Do you remember hearing about the last big tornado that ripped through Goderich? Well I don't live there. I do however live about 15 miles from there in a small town called Seaforth.

• J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223

Welcome Bob! We look forward to hearing about and seeing your cooks!

J

I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    FlashkaBob said:
    Do you remember hearing about the last big tornado that ripped through Goderich? Well I don't live there.
    Neither do I!  But, I lived relatively close in Toronto for many years.  Welcome to the forum, Hoser! 

Post the pics right here.  Size the the file to be about 100-500KB in size (if possible).  Then, click where it says "Attach a file."  Browse to the pic file and select it.  Once it shows up as a thumbnail, mouse over it and click on "Insert Image."  
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Hi Bob!

Congrats on the Egg purchase, and your recovered health. My wife didn't care about the cost of the Egg, I'm the one who worried about that. But, like most people, a few samples of Egg'd food settled any questions about the cost.

The Egg is wonderful for those of us who live in the land of long dark and cold, at least as far as 'Q is concerned. Most of the folks down south don't realize that the aroma of slowly smoking food tends to disappear for much of the year. I'd expect you get colder weather than I do, but I have had more than a few times in my life where a single night drops 3 or 4 feet of snow outside my door. Assuming you can wade thru the drifts, something as simple as a grilled cheese burger in the middle of January will bring a big smile to your face.

Quite a few people have had good results making pastrami on the Egg. I've read that the Schwartz's style is a little different, but I think you will be pleased w. your effort.
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    edited November 2012
    @FlashKaBob - sent you a PM... I know Seaforth very very well!  It's my hometown (well Egmondville actually)

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    gdenby said:
    Hi Bob!

Congrats on the Egg purchase, and your recovered health. My wife didn't care about the cost of the Egg, I'm the one who worried about that. But, like most people, a few samples of Egg'd food settled any questions about the cost.

The Egg is wonderful for those of us who live in the land of long dark and cold, at least as far as 'Q is concerned. Most of the folks down south don't realize that the aroma of slowly smoking food tends to disappear for much of the year. I'd expect you get colder weather than I do, but I have had more than a few times in my life where a single night drops 3 or 4 feet of snow outside my door. Assuming you can wade thru the drifts, something as simple as a grilled cheese burger in the middle of January will bring a big smile to your face.

Quite a few people have had good results making pastrami on the Egg. I've read that the Schwartz's style is a little different, but I think you will be pleased w. your effort.
    Ah, ah, 
    We come from the land of the ice and snow, 
    Where eggs are green, where Labatt's is cold. 
    How soft your pork so smoked, can steak sing tales of sear, 
    Of how we burped the flames so stoked, We egg everyday of the year. 

I'm not from Canada, but I do love to egg in the winter! Welcome from a neighbor to the south.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Welcome... Carhartts come in handy.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Welcome, from the "left" coast - SWMBO was born in Goderich. No snow here, but the monsoon season has commenced.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!