Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

How long before high temp cook?

Long time lurker, but now I can officially say I'm part of the club!

Got a large egg over the weekend and have cooked twice on it now (both about 350 for roughly an hour each time).

Trying to decide what to cook tonight, and wondering if it's been enough time to where I can do a higher temp cook.
·

Comments

• Personal opinion only:

It doesn't matter.  You're going to burn up your gasket anyway.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Gateway to the Hill Country

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 15,466
    edited November 2012
    Only if you want to eat you gasket. For the record, you did not have to take time before a high temp cook. Done all the time at Egg Fests on org cook
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max +++ 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015 http://saladoeggheadgathering.blogspot.com

·
  • chad408chad408 Posts: 140
    Do the hight temp cook whenever you like. You are going to burn up the gasket weather you do it the first cook or the 100th cook. Just be prepared to replace the gasket.
    ·
  • Congratulations and welcome aboard.  It's been enough, go ahead and fire her up.  If you've been lurking than you know you have to post pictures.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

·
  • From the spatchcock chicken last night
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 12,866
    Congrats, welcome and do it.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,392
    i dont think it matters, mine have either been fine or have melted off, about 50/50. i would check the seal gap before firing it up though, maybe give it the dollar bill test making sure the bill is snug all around it with the dome shut
    ·
  • I did the break in cooks. About 400 and less for 5-10 cooks. Some do, some don't I recommend it but now, 7 months in, my gasket is almost toast

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·