Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza stone for a small egg

Options
I just got back from a day off shopping. Looked high and low for a pizza stone for my small egg. We love pizza on our large, and want to be able to use both at the same time for a pizza fest, or when we take it Rving, we can make pizza. I was hoping to find an 11" or 12" stone. Could not find anything. Where should I look for one? I have the small woo and stone for indirect grilling. Could I get away with a 12' stone or would that restrict air flow? Didn't really want to get another 10" stone for pizza, wanted it to be a bit bigger diameter. Got home and did some surfing on Amazon and could not come up with anything.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated by my addiction to "pizza on the egg"
Large, small, and a mini

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    The medium BGE stone is 12". I would think that you'd want a 1" gap between the egg and the stone to allow for proper air movement for nuclear temps. A 1/2" gap may work, but it is a 30 buck investment for the bge one. I have seen other brands at grocery stores(wegmans) but that will depend on where you live. Check the housewares section where the cooking tools are kept. Otherwise, check with your dealer. I guess if it doesn't suit your needs, you can return it. Even with that small gap, you should be able to get temps up to high heat with the bottom damper wide open. Just don't use it as a heat deflector for low and slows.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I was searching around once and found some posts where people were using round kiln shelves for pizza stones. 

I see a couple here:

There is a 10.25 and a 12.  I agree with Eggcelsior...I think 1 inch of clearance might be ideal.  However, the inner diameter of the small egg is 14 inches (the grid diameter is 13)...so maybe a 12 would be fine.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I ran into the same problem. I found stones at ceramicgrillstore.com when I bought the small woo. It's a 10"
    Flint, Michigan
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2012
    Options

Have no problems hitting 550 with the BGE 12" stone, woo, and 8.5" pizza stone from Amazon.

Your local dealer should be able to get you the 12" BGE pizza stone for medium and small eggs.

And if you don't have one already, get one of these...

http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Charcoal-Grate-Upgrade-Small/dp/B00639K7KU/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1353336639&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=high+cue+grate+small

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• mindfulwanderer
    Options
    Don't know where you are located but if near Atlanta try pizza supply houses, otherwise you can safely used UNGLAZED tile. Just make sure it is at least 1 inch thick preferably 1.5 inchs.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I use the Small Woo and the 12" BGE stone which they sell and recommend as the perfect fit for the small egg. I used firebricks to get it above the handles of my woo (it won't sit level with the handles) and have no issues with spacing effecting the cooking. I'm sure BGE did lots of testing and wouldn't recommend the 12" stone if it was not the right size for the small. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Ricklesss
    Options

I use a 12" stone in my small, that I bought from a local pottery store for under $20.

I don't have any problems with it, but I do sometimes wonder about the platesetter restricting airflow when it's in the egg with legs up.

RicklessssssS inOregon