Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

What size turkey will fit on a Large BGE?

Feeding 20 next Thursday... how big of a bird can fit horizontally in a foil or roasting pan? I'm going to use the Mad Max recipe... Any other suggestions or advice would be much appreciated!

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 7,645
    Nothing to add-Mad Max's recipe is great-spatchcock is even better -no easy gravy though! Size depends on how you choose to cook-
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
  • Plan to cook whole in a roaster, indirect, stuffed and coated w/ Max's recipe... probably 325*
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 7,645
    I'm thinking you can get away with around 24 #'s as long as you put it a in roasting pan elevated off the platesetter-in other words-I doubt it will fit on the grid at felt level.  Try a test fit.
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
  • That's a plan. All systems 'go'... picking it up Monday...enough time to test it, brine it... replace it if needed! Appreciate your help!!
  • The BGE booklet says a Large egg can accommodate a 20 lb turkey.
  • brimeebrimee Posts: 77
    Sandi_k said:
    The BGE booklet says a Large egg can accommodate a 20 lb turkey.

You know that no one on here goes by the book...

;) ;)
    Fairview, Texas
  • Right! Thanks for your help... I'm going to downsize to 20#, just to be safe
  • LOL! I just didn't want him to get a turkey that's too big!
  • Got a beautiful free range 19.5 pounder from whole foods. Test fit in medium size roaster w/ v-rack just fine (but close). She's brining now w/ herb goodies (fennel, thyme, parsley, bay leaves, juniper berries, peppercorns), citrus, onion, garlic, kosher salt and brown sugar... In cider and water. Can't wait to roast this bird in the Egg using Mad Max's recipe! Thanks, everyone. Love this blog!
  • It was fantastic...juicy, tender...amazingly wonderful turkey

My only regret: didn't get the roaster off of the top of the inverted platesetter > despite putting water and apple juice under the v-rack, burned up the drippings before I knew it :-(

Thanks for everyone's help!!
  • I did the mad max fur turkey and gravy. Did a 20# with zero issues. I will use his way going forward
  • tdbmdtdbmd Posts: 41
    Where can I find the Mad Max recipe?  I am doing a turkey in the Egg tomorrow. 
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,664
    edited December 2012
    Mad Max recipe is OUTSTANDING. But, last time I had that number to feed I used 2   12lb's birds. Cooked spatchcock @ 400 they would cook about 90 mins each by cooking one at the time. Also you get extra wings and leggs.... I just like the smaller bird better (IMO only).
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now).