Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Bird Transportation

We found out today that the Thanksgiving venue has moved about an hour away from our house. I am still planning on egging the bird, but am unsure about the best way to transport and keep warm. Has anyone dealt with this before and have suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris
Birmingham, AL
XL, Small, and Mini BGEs
·

Comments

• Large cooler or Tupperware container with lots of towels. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • By Tupperware container I mean Rubbermaid storage box. 

·
  • Trav- how long can one expect it to stay at serving temps when FTCed?
    ·
  • A briskey can stay HOT for about 4 hours and good for about 6. If you have a mongo bird, I'd expect about the same. 
    ·
  • My biggest concern is the skin sogging up, but I suppose many people don't eat the skin at all.
    ·
  • Briskey? Mongo? Are these Texas terms for turkeys?
    Birmingham, AL
    XL, Small, and Mini BGEs
    ·
  • DawgDays said:
    My biggest concern is the skin sogging up, but I suppose many people don't eat the skin at all.
    Perhaps I could throw a couple packs of Silica Gel in there???
    Birmingham, AL
    XL, Small, and Mini BGEs
    ·
  • Briskey=Brisket and Mongo=super huge. They are Texas terms for when I am too drunk. 
    ·
  • Gotcha. So either watch the Davinci Code, or take a shot of Jack when reading Travis posts on the weekend!
    Birmingham, AL
    XL, Small, and Mini BGEs
    ·
  • DawgDays said:
    My biggest concern is the skin sogging up, but I suppose many people don't eat the skin at all.
    Perhaps I could throw a couple packs of Silica Gel in there???
    Sillica Gel or any decent desiccant will work just fine. 
    ·
  • Sorry -- I'm the reason "idiot-proof" doesn't actually exist and need specifics. You put silica packs in the cooler? Inside the foil w/ the bird or just scattered throughout the towels?
    ·
  • Not sure. I wouldn't think that a desiccant would be necessary. It might work and I doubt it would hurt. I bet the moisture put off by a recently cooked poultry would soak most normal silica packs. 
    ·
  • I was attempting to make a joke. I'm going to guess it isn't safe.
    Birmingham, AL
    XL, Small, and Mini BGEs
    ·
  • Ever read one of those silica gel packets?  "Do not eat"  I thought your joke was funny when I first read it.  The fact that people were considering using them is a little scary.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

·
  • Ever read one of those silica gel packets?  "Do not eat"  I thought your joke was funny when I first read it.  The fact that people were considering using them is a little scary.

Yeah I was a bit taken aback. Just another exhibit of how the Internet needs a font for sarcasm.
    ·