Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Lump storage?

I was in Lowe's today and saw a $12 plastic bin with a flip top for charcoal storage. Black with a blue top. I was thinking it would be just right for keeping handy instead of an open bag.

What does everybody use to store their lump in? Never seen a thread on this. Comments welcome.
LBGE
·

Comments

• I have 2 of those plastic bins I keep on my deck. The are water tight and work great.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • I have (2) plastic bins as well that fit under my table. I store my lump in one and the different smoking woods in the other.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,571
    I use a regular $5 rubbermaid tub...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • ShiffShiff Posts: 1,341
    I have 2 of those same bins that you mentioned - I think they have a Kingsford label on them.  They will hold about 10 pounds each.
    Barry Lancaster, PA
    ·
  • gabrieggergabriegger Posts: 466
    edited November 2012
    In bags opened and unopened stacked in garage. Nice and dry.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

·
  • bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,386
    Shiff said:
    I have 2 of those same bins that you mentioned - I think they have a Kingsford label on them.  They will hold about 10 pounds each.
    have four of them and they work very well . the rest of my lump is stored in the shed 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
    ·
  • I put my charcoal in one of these, along with most of my other accessories:

Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,470
    edited November 2012
    I keep mine in the factory bag in my garage.  Never really lasts long enough to worry about storage.  I use it to cook, not make diamonds! :D

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
    ·
  • I use a similar container to ChokeOnSmoke.  I keep 2 bags and my accessories in it.  Works great.  
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
    ·
  • jfm0830jfm0830 Posts: 968
    edited November 2012
    I've been using two of those for several months now with no issues. They are Kingsford Charcoal Kaddy. I get almost a full 22 pound bag of WGWW in each. My base is clear, wished I'd found the black ones at Lowes first.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
    ·
  • I keep my open and unopened bags on my back porch. No issues. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 2,054
    I keep my lump in a time lock combination safe.
    ·
  • HDmstngHDmstng Posts: 163
    I haven't implemented this yet, but was thinking of using a plastic storage bin with a raised screen of some sort on the bottom that would allow for the dust and very small particles fall to the bottom.  Don't like getting to the end of a bag and end up pouring dust and tiny pieces into the Egg.

·
  • BYS1981 said:
    I keep my lump in a time lock combination safe.
    I think this would be the best solution.
    LBGE
    ·
  • Keep my lump in a small storage bldg under lock and key. 

Alexander City,Al
    ·
  • The myth about wet lump has been busted. Works fine

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·