Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bone-In Ribeye Roast

For dinner tonight...a little over 5lbs.  Want to do 325 but for how long???

Plan to sear at the end.

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited November 2012
    If you can, cook at 225-250 until internal is 120. About two hours max for a 5#. Pull and then sear as you plan, so overall - worst case is 3 hours. The lower you can cook to get a 120 internal, the better - no smoke wood, let the rib and rub speak for themselves. 

Check this link
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Skiddymarker has it right (an opinion and we all know what those are worth)-season with fresh ground pepper and kosher (or sea) salt some rosemary and keep it low&slow to the desired finish temp-I see about 25 mins/# at 250*F on the dome-Great eats.  Enjoy the journey and end results!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Awesome...will try that way.  Thanks for the input
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    And please don't forget the drip pan underneath with some beefbroth and rosemary to make a super au jus. This is a very rewarding journey. :)

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• I just did a 3.71 pounder today (first time with this cut of meat). Wally-world on sale for $4.88 for Choice.  I live at 6000' feet and cooked it at 235 dome for 4.25 hours using a CyberQ Wifi to monitor and keep it  honest. Really helped out using the CyberQ because it was raining and kept me from having to go out and check on it.  Pulled it at 135 IT and finished it on a gasser at 550 for about 1 minute per side up and down, etc.  Things just take a lot longer to cook on the BGE at altitude.  Foiled it for about 15 minutes after the sear.

Used just  Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. In the drop pan I used 16 oz beef broth, fresh rosemary and some crushed garlic. When this au jus was poured on the meat the garlic taste came through wonderfully. It make for about 8 oz of au jus, maybe slightly less. 

It looks more rare in the photo than it really was. It was one absolute shade short of medium at that temperature. It was perfect for me. I don't like it too red.

Having never done it before, I was nicely surprised that the bones just peeled off, rather than having to cut them off.  A small cut, but mostly just fell off by themselves when done.

One word of advice. Remember to take off the twine before searing. I didn't.  It wasn't a disaster, though. I was able to peel off the burned remnants of the "twine bag" that the roast was in after it was mostly singed, but it wasn't pretty. 
    Small (hatched 6/13/2015)
    XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
    Northern CA
  • How did you do the final sear?
  • Seared on Weber gasser at 550 about 1 minute each side about 4 minutes total. It takes me too long to get up to 550 degrees at my altitude. It would be over an hour and, most importantly, "It was a dark and stormy night..."
    XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    Northern CA
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Sounds like an air flow problem, not altitude. Our vacation home is @ 7,000 feet and I get to over 600 in about 15 minutes.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • I agree that it is an air flow problem. After just 4+ hours of L+S, plus an additional first hour of getting the BGE up to a solid 235, there is enough air restriction in the grate to slow down the temperature climb. That, plus the altitude, makes it an unreasonable amount of time. I have an XL, so I'm stuck until there's a better grate available. 

JefCB01: How did it turn out?
    XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    Northern CA
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I agree that it is an air flow problem. After just 4+ hours of L+S, plus an additional first hour of getting the BGE up to a solid 235, there is enough air restriction in the grate to slow down the temperature climb. That, plus the altitude, makes it an unreasonable amount of time. I have an XL, so I'm stuck until there's a better grate available. 
    Have  you tried using a wiggle rod to make sure there is good airflow through the grate?  You can buy one or make it yourself.

See: http://thirdeyeq.com/Custom_Tools.html
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • North_Is_Up
    North_Is_Up Posts: 137
    edited November 2012
    Thanks, Shiff. Interesting idea. 

Darned cold, dark and rain last night made me fire up the gasser for its 4 minutes of searing work. 
    XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    Northern CA
  • Turned out great...here are some pics