Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey and gravy

Options
I have been asked to smoke a turkey to bring to a friend's for Thanksgiving.  I plan to spatchcock the bird, probably no bigger than 14 pounds as I have a large BGE.  I think I can handle that part just fine and like the spatchcock chickens that I do - raised direct.

My problem is with a gravy.  Can anyone recommend good and easy gravy recipes?  Going direct, I wont have any drippings.
Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    You can buy some extra necks, wings and backs and roast them off. Use the drippings from that and chicken stock, plus the turkey bits and simmer for a few hours. Thicken with roux

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• brianwdmn
    Options
    +1 for extra parts, but might I suggest adding a mirepoix during roast, then the roux, and then strain through a fine mesh.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    I also roast the turkey parts with carrots, celery and onions until nice and brown. Then into the pressure cooker for 20 minutes. I sometimes reduce the pressure cooker broth to concentrate the flavors. Salt at the very end.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !