Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib: Can I or should I attempt this

Options
Rebellab
Rebellab Posts: 43
A guy from work asked me if I would cook a Prime Rib on the egg for him that he can take to his family's Thanksgiving dinner. Problem is I was going to do my turkey on the egg. Has anyone cooked a Prime Rib ahead of time like the day before and then reheated? If so, what would be the process to reheat?
LBGE South Dakota

Comments

• SoCal_Griller
    Options
    I am certainly no expert, but, it seems to me that cooking a Prime Rib the day before and then trying to just reheat on serving day would affect the quality.  If people prefer their Prime Rib rare, then how would you reheat it?  One way to reheat it is to use hot or boiling broth , place the meet in the broth till the temp comes up.

Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    To reheat a standing rib roast, put in a 200F oven until the internal temp is 125.  It can take quite a while so start in the AM.  After its heated up, put the oven on "warm" and cover loosely with foil. You won't be able to tell it wasn't cooked a day or two before.

You can also warm up in au jus, but it isn't pretty.
    Agree with Nola, that's the way the local steak and roast place does it - which is why you usually can only get a medium cut for the 5:00PM sitting (I think it is the day before's warmed over). Still good but usually a little overdone. 

I think that prime rib speaks for itself, I use a neutral lump (straight RO, no smoke wood) and a good salt/pepper based rub, no sugar for us.Although I love cooking on the egg, the family has told me they really don't see the difference with the interior cuts wether done in the oven or the egg. The egg makes for a better finish sear, hence those that like the browned/crunchy outside pieces are happier with egged prime rib. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @skiddymarker - Yep - that's how we did it in the restaurant I worked at. 
    Thanks for the replies, should I pull at 120 or before? I am not sure what size it will be, so that may make a difference as well. Also should I refrigerate immediately or wait half an hour or so?
    LBGE South Dakota
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Yeah, that's fine.  You can refrigerate immediately. 
    Options
    Rebellab, I always pull mine at 115.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Zick
    Zick Posts: 190
    Options
    Awesome advice! Great stuff NOLA.
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited November 2012
    Options
    skiddy, 120 is a tad low. And I like mine med rare.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.