Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It feels as though we’ve waited forever for college football to start, and finally the wait is over! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are sure to become fan favorites. As an added bonus, the day before Labor Day is National Bacon Day and we don’t know about you, but we like putting bacon on anything and everything, so we’ll definitely be celebrating that. It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Easy ham recipe

Got a 10lb pit ham to cook on the BGE.  Any easy recipes?   I am lazy  :)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• egretegret Posts: 3,997
    Try this one :

Maple-Bourbon Ham*
    by John Hall (egret)

Ingredients :

Maple-Bourbon Paste (recipe follows)
    10-12 # cooked, ready to eat ham (bone-in Butt or Shank section)
    1/2-1 cup Maple Syrup
    Cherry and Apple Chunks

Procedure :

The day before smoking, place ham in a pan flat side down. Inject in multiple locations with maple syrup (use more than 1 cup if it will take it).
    Smear the Maple-Bourbon Paste all over the exposed surfaces (except flat side). Cover loosely with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator until ready to smoke (You can remove ham from refrigerator up to one hour before cooking).
    Stabilize egg at 250° with plate setter (legs up) regular grid with raised grid attached. Put 3 or 4 good size chunks of wood on coals, then place ham on raised grid. Cook until internal temperature reaches 140° (this should take about 5 hours).

Maple-Bourbon Paste

2 Tbls. pure Maple Syrup
    2 Tbls. freshly ground Black Pepper
    2 Tbls. Dijon or Honey-Dijon Mustard
    1 Tbls. Bourbon
    1 Tbls. Vegetable Oil
    1 Tbls. Paprika
    1 Tbls. Onion Powder
    2 tsp. coarse Salt, either kosher or sea salt
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 14,034
    NAKED HAM / SMOKE ONLY Let me start that for the past 6 years i have only cooked Egerts Ham (this is an outstanding ham Egged on the BGE). A short while ago went looking for (did not know this at the time) a naked ham / smoke only. Thank you Wayne (Thirdeye)for the hand holding. Also thanks to Richard and Gary (Village Idiot)and Kent and Chubby for all the emails and calls on other ways to do a ham w/o the burbon, maple syrup, brown sugar, no anything. Guys this was outstanding ham. It tasted like ham. It was a 7 lb Cooks ham (shank) and NOTHING was put on it (Nothing). Just smoke: both pecan and cherry chunks. Cooked at 300 till 145/155. I did score the ham deep.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini.... 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015

• I like this one developed by Chris Lilly:  http://www.grilling.com/spicy-apricot-glazed-ham/

I had it last weekend at the Kingsford Invitational BBQ contest near St. Louis.  It wasn't an entry in the contest, it was an entree served to us.  It had great flavor and was perfectly cooked.