Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What size turkey will fit on a Large BGE?

Options
Feeding 20 next Thursday... how big of a bird can fit horizontally in a foil or roasting pan? I'm going to use the Mad Max recipe... Any other suggestions or advice would be much appreciated!

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Nothing to add-Mad Max's recipe is great-spatchcock is even better -no easy gravy though! Size depends on how you choose to cook-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jsturmi
    Options
    Plan to cook whole in a roaster, indirect, stuffed and coated w/ Max's recipe... probably 325*
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    I'm thinking you can get away with around 24 #'s as long as you put it a in roasting pan elevated off the platesetter-in other words-I doubt it will fit on the grid at felt level.  Try a test fit.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jsturmi
    Options
    That's a plan. All systems 'go'... picking it up Monday...enough time to test it, brine it... replace it if needed! Appreciate your help!!
  • Sandi_k
    Options
    The BGE booklet says a Large egg can accommodate a 20 lb turkey.
  • brimee
    brimee Posts: 127
    Options
    Sandi_k said:
    The BGE booklet says a Large egg can accommodate a 20 lb turkey.

You know that no one on here goes by the book...

Right?

;);)
    Brian
    Fairview, Texas
  • Jsturmi
    Options
    Right! Thanks for your help... I'm going to downsize to 20#, just to be safe
  • Sandi_k
    Options
    LOL! I just didn't want him to get a turkey that's too big!
  • Jsturmi
    Options
    Got a beautiful free range 19.5 pounder from whole foods. Test fit in medium size roaster w/ v-rack just fine (but close). She's brining now w/ herb goodies (fennel, thyme, parsley, bay leaves, juniper berries, peppercorns), citrus, onion, garlic, kosher salt and brown sugar... In cider and water. Can't wait to roast this bird in the Egg using Mad Max's recipe! Thanks, everyone. Love this blog!
  • Jsturmi
    Options
    It was fantastic...juicy, tender...amazingly wonderful turkey

My only regret: didn't get the roaster off of the top of the inverted platesetter > despite putting water and apple juice under the v-rack, burned up the drippings before I knew it :-(

Thanks for everyone's help!!
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    I did the mad max fur turkey and gravy. Did a 20# with zero issues. I will use his way going forward
    Boom
  • tdbmd
    tdbmd Posts: 46
    Options
    Where can I find the Mad Max recipe?  I am doing a turkey in the Egg tomorrow. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Mad Max recipe is OUTSTANDING. But, last time I had that number to feed I used 2   12lb's birds. Cooked spatchcock @ 400 they would cook about 90 mins each by cooking one at the time. Also you get extra wings and leggs.... I just like the smaller bird better (IMO only).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.