Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanksgiving Smoked Duck

Family request to smoke duck for Thanksgiving this year. Looking for advice and tips. Any would be appreciated since this will be my first attempt at this. Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Be sure to pierce or slash the skin, as there's a lot of fat (drip pan a necessity, and save the fat for frying potatoes later!)
    As far as temp, I've still not found the ideal temp and look forward to hearing from others, thanks!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Slit the skin in a cross hatch pattern being careful not to cut into the flesh. Get a wok and bathe the duck in hot water, like with a ladle. Then do a low and slow on a raised grid

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• All the advice is good.  I stuffed mine with onions and apples.....smoked it and it was superb.  Give it a go.  You will love it.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Little Steven, what does the hot water bathing do?  Does it render some of the fat?  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    I have one on my gasser as I write ... I like to rotisserate at about 350 for about 3 hrs. to render fat and crisp up the skin. Stuffed with a throw away combo of onions, clementines, celery and S&P.
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.