Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Remove Hot Plate Setter

geralds34
geralds34 Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a bunch of people over, plan to do ribs and steak. I want to use the plate setter for indirect heat for the ribs. though once ribs were done, pull them and the plate setter, crank up the egg to do the steaks.

Can I remove the plate setters when it is hot, wear thick leather gloves (from the fireplace store). will the plate setter crack or break if is put it on a patio stone to cool? Will it get burned?

Comments

• thillin
    thillin Posts: 33
    My leather gloves get hot when it comes to a plate setter. I have an old one that I use as a potholder to give me a little more insulation between my fingers ang the hot plate setter.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    IMHO, the PS will be fine after you remove it from the egg.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    You can take it out it will be fine. Be quick the gloves will get hot and stay hot. You might look into getting a set of the orka gloves, they are good up to like 550f. I use mine to grab all kinds of hot stuff out of the grill and have never had it get hot. Have a nice day.
  • otisdog
    otisdog Posts: 187
    You gotta move fast. My gloves get hot moving the plate setter. I put it on my stone insert and no problems so far.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Dude, just take off the plate setter with a pot holder or something. We arent playing with kids toys here. You are gonna feel a little heat on occcassion.

:) sorry for my directness. Just needs doing sometimes. Welcome to Egging and the Forum.
  • I take the platesetter out and lean it up against something while it is standing on its side. That way it doesn't get the amount of thermal shock it would get from setting it down on something that is a lot cooler.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    I do the same thing Rich does, lean it on something. It should be no problem removing it after you do ribs at 250 or so. It becomes a little more challenging after a 600 degree pizza cook.
  • I really love my ove-glove with the grips pads on them for the job and the plate setter will be fine als long as our not doing anythings stupid I would have it with the legs down
  • I use a pair of TIG welding gloves and move fast. I usually just set it on the concrete legs down and never had a problem. Keep the little ones, guests, and pets away from it because it stays hot for awhile.
  • Good idea to know where you are going with a hot platesetter...at about 6 seconds you are thinking seroiusly about letting it go no matter where you are.LOL

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

•  I can't believe the BGE people don't invent something that takes the pain out of the removal process.  The different grill grippers work great for the grill but no such utensils for the hotter platesetter.  I just received an XL and can't believe how heavy it is--I even had trouble with my older medium and have burned fingers to prove it.
    Fayetteville, Ga
  • I use welding gloves but you have to have your plan in mind and move quick. Don't put it where people might touch it cause its gonna be HOT for a while!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Agree with others. Move quickly and have a plan. And keep the dogs away!
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • I usually toss it in a snowdrift, 7 months of the year that is

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Good gloves, move fast, and have a planned place for where you can safely put it down.  I do this all the time.

OTOH, you can cook steaks at really high heat with the plate setter in.  Steaks will cook just fine at 700F over a plate setter, and you avoid any of the charring that can happen when flames are directly hitting the meat.  I've been T-Rex'ing for years, recently tried the above, and probably won't be going back.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    Little Steven Posts: 18,835
    I usually toss it in a snowdrift, 7 months of the year that is

What the hecks a snowdrift?? 

td66snrf  SoCal
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195
    And if you can't find a snowdrift what ever that is ( also Socal ) try the pool.  Remeber the guy who posted the pic after he set on the lawn. :))
  • You're doing the ribs at 250 to 350, right? You won't hurt the PS a bit taking out from that and setting it down on something. And the gloves should be fine. Or at that temp, just cowboy up like Bacchus said and use a pot holder. I do it that way, plus some plain leather gloves for a little extra. No problems.
    LBGE
  • Well, I hate to "man down" but I found comments from many of you about the Ove Glove so I went and bought two to help with the Thanksgiving feast.  If that doesn't work I will invent a new tool for the removal of the platesetter.
    Fayetteville, Ga
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    edited November 2012
    Recently for just such occasions, I have been putting the cast iron grate in first and setting the platesetter and SS grill on top of the CI grate.  This works wonderfully for reverse sear and multitemp cooks.  It preheats the CI and also seems to restrict the heat flow through the Egg for the slower initial cook and raises the SS grid another 1/2" from the coals.  With the CI grate preheated in such a manner, the volcanic temperatures also seem to develop much sooner than when changing out the grids. 

An old volunteer fireman trick I use for the glove thing is to get a set of the brown cotton work gloves and wear them inside the heavy leather welding gloves. Be sure the gloves are 100% cotton and not synthetic (which can melt to your skin), real wool would also work.  As long as the cotton/wool gloves don't get wet, this combo will stand up to extreme temperatures.  If the inner gloves get wet, you can get steam burnt while handling very hot items 
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    BobsBGE said:
    Well, I hate to "man down" but I found comments from many of you about the Ove Glove so I went and bought two to help with the Thanksgiving feast.  If that doesn't work I will invent a new tool for the removal of the platesetter.
    I've been using the Ove Gloves since I bought my Egg and they work great.  The only caution if using them to remove a hot platesetter is you better have somewhere close to put it.  You get a few seconds before the heat starts coming through. A pair of heavy duty oven mitts gives me about 3 times as long to get it to the old gasser. 
  • I find that using the PS Woo from the Ceramic Grill Store works really well for handling a hot PS. You only have to contend with with the hot handles, and a pair of heavy leather gloves makes it really easy.

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-woo-big-green-egg.html