Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MY FIRST TURKEY ON THE BGE

Options

I really don't want to mess this up, my friend wants to brine and inject because thats how we do our chicken.

I hope it works the same? HELP!

Any suggestions

Comments

• Reno
    Reno Posts: 12
    Options
    Soak turkey in brine for 24 hours. (Brine solution is 1 cup of salt to 1 gallon of water.) I got turkey out the night before and shot it up with creole butter and seasoned it with Zataran's Creole seasoning. Then I put bird back in fridge. I got it back out next morning and placed a gallon zip lock back of ice on breast for 30 minutes before cooking. Smoke at 250 for 30 minutes per pound. No worries.
  • pitmaster72
    Options
    Any suggestions
  • pitmaster72
    Options

Reno, What about an apple juice and cider brine, With salt and sugar, How would that be? Have you ever heard of that? i do that to my chickin and it turns out great. I have never tried this with a turkey! What are your thoughts.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    What reno said.  You can add spices to the brine and infuse the turkey with aromatics.  If you do an icepack on the breasts, let the turkey warm up to room temp first because the refrigerator temp is around 34F and the ice is around 32F so it's not giving the legs a good head start.

I wouldn't inject any more salt if you're brining lest the bird get too salty.
    So did it turn out good Pitmaster? I tried my 1st turkey today, Thanksgiving 2012, it was brined but not injected. Cooked at 325 F to 350 F and was done in about 2.5 hours. Turned out good, except the wings weren't done with the rest of the bird. Will try the ice on breast technique next time. Only my 3rd cook on the BGE and I'm hooked.
  • Gravytrain84
    Options
    Im a huge fan of the mad max turkey