Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brine AND inject turkey??

Options
The turkey I'll be cooking this Thanksgiving is all natural - no enhancements or injections. I'm going to try to follow the recipe from amazingribs.com. However, I'm not sure if I should brine it AND inject it or if that is an either/or.

These are the ingredients for the web brine:
1 cup [56 ml] hot water in a 2 cup measuring cup
1 pound [454 gm] salt (any salt will do)
1 cup [56 ml] white sugar
8 tablespoons of garlic powder (not garlic salt)
6 tablespoons ground black pepper
2 gallons [7.6 L] cold water

These are the ingredients for the injection:
1 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoons sugar
1 cups [56 ml] water or low sodium chicken stock, or a mix of both

If it is an either/or, which would you suggest - brining or injecting?

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Just my $.02, but I'm pretty sure it is an either or.  I think if you do both it will come out too salty. 

I was just looking here:

...and found the paragraph below, which sounds like the author did mean an "either or". 

Injecting and brining

For years I have advocated wet brining turkey, but I have changed my tune and I now prefer injecting. Yes, I am a flip-flopper, so don't vote for me if I run for President.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• dawsonhull
    Options
    Ah....that's what I was looking for. I bet you're right. There is so much to sift through in that recipe - or should I say, dissertation!

Thanks!
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    a lot of times i will inject a few spots with the brine mix, i think it helps get the other herbs deeper into the meat.  like on a turkey i will do 2 syringes in each breast, 1 each thigh and various spots like legs, wings etc. i don't make a different injection just use the same one.  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You can do both, there are no rules here other than you don't want it too salty.  If you brine, the salt level is covered.  Inject salt-free butter or salt free broth, fruit juice, herbs, whatever - just don't add more salt.  That's covered, you can always add layers of flavor.