Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bachelor Night=Steak and Bacon

Options
U_tarded
U_tarded Posts: 2,042
edited November 2012 in EggHead Forum
So the wife is working nights right now and that gives me a lot of free time to do man things, I usually just cook a good meal drink some beers and watch football.  Today I went and ran some errands and was on a mission to find a pork belly to make my own bacon.  I went the the "boutique" grocery store here and they didn't have pork belly but they do have dry aged prime steaks so I grabbed a 1 inch thick ribeye and some cauliflower for some veggie action.  I continued on my search and found a pork belly at the mexican grocery store, that place is awesome I am going to shop there more for obscure things.  

the proof is in the pudding so here are the pics.  

I hottubbed the steak because it was a little thinner than I usually get and I wanted to experiment.  I threw it in our rice cooker for 2 hours at 120 degrees because that is where it holds.  This is post soak

imagepost sear i really need some cast iron this was on a steel grate right at the coals

i just seasoned it with salt and pepper, I roasted the cauliflower at 450 for 30 mins to a recipe i found on here I think by Centex and had a Sam Adams imperial stout along with it.

t

this is the belly after removing the skin which is a pain in the butt!

it was 5.5 pounds total so I split it in half after applying the cure and used the food saver to suck the air out of the ziplock bags since I ran out of foodsaver bags that were big enough today 

I will update this one I am excited I love bacon and the wife doesn't know of my science experiment in the fridge we will wait to see how long it takes for her to notice.

Comments