Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s time to kick back, relax and enjoy the aromas of fresh smoked meat as we sail towards summer. Not sure what to smoke? Try Down & Dizzy Pork Shoulder or Smoked Spanish Chicken. Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Evil bag of lump

njlnjl Posts: 734
edited November 2012 in EggHead Forum
I was in a hurry to get the egg going and steaks cooked, so against my better judgement, I poured from a nearly new bag of Publix Greenwise lump, even after seeing the whole bag appeared to be mostly about quarter size chips of lump.  No surprise, I couldn't get it to light...no air flow around this pile of shake.  I had to pull out my cheater fan and use a fire starter from below.  The combination finally got it going.  I had the plate setter in (doing steaks a new way...really high indirect heat the whole time.  It cooks them nicely without any charring.).  Once the pile of shake finally got going, it was really pouring out a solid column of smoke.  Then, as the temp was rising around 400-500F, every 15-30 seconds, I'd get a burst of flames out the top and often out the bottom as well.  The column of smoke would stop...then start up again, then another POOF of fire out both vents.

I eventually decided to remove the plate setter, stir up the coals, put it back, and the fire gyser appeared to be finished.  I cooked a pair of porter house steaks (about 1.3lb each) at 600-750F flipping every 2 minutes...the temp would drop and climb back each time I opened it to flip them.

I tried uploading it to youtube...but either the iphone or youtube cropped the video such that all the interesting bits were gone.

Here's a link to a short video of it blasting:
http://goo.gl/tV16Z

Comments

• BigWaderBigWader Posts: 423

you had it chuffing like an old steam engine.  I've had that too.... seemed like I needed to get to a certain temp before it had continuous combustion.  Neat, weird and disconcerting all at the same time.  I bet if you opened it mid chuff you would have had a wicked flashback

Link didn't work for me by the way.

Large BGE

• njlnjl Posts: 734
    The first one of those it did scared the crap out of me.  I was standing right in front of it watching the thermostat, and suddenly there was a flame shooting out the bottom vent towards my legs.  After the first few, the pace sped up and the ferocity of the blasts diminished.