Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Evil bag of lump

Options
njl
njl Posts: 1,123
edited November 2012 in EggHead Forum
I was in a hurry to get the egg going and steaks cooked, so against my better judgement, I poured from a nearly new bag of Publix Greenwise lump, even after seeing the whole bag appeared to be mostly about quarter size chips of lump.  No surprise, I couldn't get it to light...no air flow around this pile of shake.  I had to pull out my cheater fan and use a fire starter from below.  The combination finally got it going.  I had the plate setter in (doing steaks a new way...really high indirect heat the whole time.  It cooks them nicely without any charring.).  Once the pile of shake finally got going, it was really pouring out a solid column of smoke.  Then, as the temp was rising around 400-500F, every 15-30 seconds, I'd get a burst of flames out the top and often out the bottom as well.  The column of smoke would stop...then start up again, then another POOF of fire out both vents.

I eventually decided to remove the plate setter, stir up the coals, put it back, and the fire gyser appeared to be finished.  I cooked a pair of porter house steaks (about 1.3lb each) at 600-750F flipping every 2 minutes...the temp would drop and climb back each time I opened it to flip them.

I tried uploading it to youtube...but either the iphone or youtube cropped the video such that all the interesting bits were gone.

Here's a link to a short video of it blasting:
http://goo.gl/tV16Z

Comments

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options

you had it chuffing like an old steam engine.  I've had that too.... seemed like I needed to get to a certain temp before it had continuous combustion.  Neat, weird and disconcerting all at the same time.  I bet if you opened it mid chuff you would have had a wicked flashback

Link didn't work for me by the way.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    The first one of those it did scared the crap out of me.  I was standing right in front of it watching the thermostat, and suddenly there was a flame shooting out the bottom vent towards my legs.  After the first few, the pace sped up and the ferocity of the blasts diminished.