Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pizza/Baking Stone - Looking for New Data

So I know there have discussion about stones and which are good and not so good. I feel that some of them are a bit dated. Looking to start a discussion where each of us could simply reply to the thread with the specific stone we have and how we would rate it on a 1-10 scale. Hopefully this will serve as a good reference when looking others are looking to buy one. So Ill start. 

Bialetti - 13in 

Rating = 7 Hasn't cracked in the last few months I have had it. 
·

Comments

• Both 13 and 16 inch stones from ceramic grill store. Rating 10....nice thick stone, even heating
    ·
  • DonWWDonWW Posts: 261
    BGE Medium.  Rating = 10.  Have gotten it plenty hot - no issues at all.
    XL BGE.  Dallas, Texas.
    ·
  • BGE LRGE Rating = 10 Cooked baked potatoes on my stone last night No problems
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • tulocaytulocay Posts: 1,737
    I have to ask, what does the pizza stone do for baked potatoes? Sounds interesting.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
    ·
  • lwrehmlwrehm Posts: 203

I know others have had issues with the Pampered Chef stones, but that is all I have used and it has not broken yet.   I will give it a 6 as I feel that it is a little thin for the BTUs we are pushing in the egg.

·
  • Ceramic grill store stones are quality I would rate them at a 10 along with BGE stones 10.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity and are able to turn both to their advantage."

·
  • EllisEllis Posts: 193

BGE stone here, it's a 10 in my book.

·
  • tulocay said:
    I have to ask, what does the pizza stone do for baked potatoes? Sounds interesting.
    didn't want to put the taters on direct so I put the stone on the grid and let it come up to 400, put a piece of AF on the stone and just set the taters on the foil. Baked for about an hour, then pulled the stone off and grilled some burgers. Saw this somewhere on this forum and it worked well.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • Sorry for the typo in my initial sentence. I must be on crack today. :) Thanks for the posts. Keep em coming!!!
    ·
  • 16inch from ceramic grill store is a 10! Thick, heats well, cooks great.
    ·
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,498
    BGE Large  Rating = 10+

Ricky

Spring, TX

·
  • I have a BGE stone, after breaking a thinner no name one.  I would say any good thick stone is what you want.

Mine is the only ceramic accessory I have put into a hot Egg, while the ceramic (stone) was cold, and it did not crack.
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
  • BoydBoyd Posts: 7
    I would like to know how the deep dish stone is working for everyone. Have you found a way to preheat this and still build your pizza?
    ·
  • 13" $10 stone from Kitchen Collection on sale for $6 (40% off day) rated as 10. 

Think it is made by Hamilton and is only rated to 500F. After picking up my MBGE I discovered my 15" been in the family for years pizza stone was a bit too big. Wanted to try a pizza so figured if I could get one cook out of this stone, no harm done. I could then look for a quality stone, that was over 9 months and lots and lots of pizzas ago. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·