Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Beef Clot Help

bigguy136bigguy136 Posts: 1,019
I don't see many posts for doing beef clots. I have a 15 lb clot I'm putting on this weekened. I've done 20+ pork shoulders over the last year. Do I use the same rubs? Same temps? Smoke wood? Thanks all.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

·

Comments

• BigWaderBigWader Posts: 589

?clod? 

Look for Clay's Pulled Beef...http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesPulledBeef.html

I've never done it - on the list but the feedback is really good.

Large BGE

·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,295
    only real difference ive seen with pulled beef verse pork is that the finish temp is higher, usually above 210. i havent done the clod but have done the roll and i did use foil right at the end after 185 degrees and spritzing with some seltzer when foiling doesnt hurt. with the higher finish temps i think the foil is needed more
    ·
    for rub i dust with a little white sugar, some lysanders spicey bourbon rub, and a little dp cowlick
    ·
  • IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    I use the same rub and use a hickory/fruit blend (no reason why I just do).  Let it smoke just like a butt and I pull around 205, but I always check with my thermopen and at 205 it just slides in simple.  Basically same rub as pork or you can use one specifically meant for beef.  My favorite.
    ·
  • bigguy136bigguy136 Posts: 1,019
    I guess this is my first but now I know they are clods :) I picked it up and it's 20 lbs and looks like a thick brisket. My pork shoulders take about 21 hours at 250° and my briskets are 12 hours at 275°. Do I want to go 250 or 275? Will it cook quicker like the briskets?

Big Lake, Minnesota

·
    Not much in the difference between 250 and 275 in my opinion. 
    ·
    Should I plan on the 12-14 hour area or more towards 20-22 hours?

Big Lake, Minnesota

·
    never cooked the clod section but i think its tougher with more grizzle than the roll section. was me i might cut it in half and shoot for 16 hours making a decision at the 10 hour mark to either lower temps or raise them and use foil. i only remember maybe a half dozen clod cooks posted on the forum in maybe 10 years
    ·
    I has a 9 pounder and it took 15 hours if that is any help
    ·
    I has a 9 pounder and it took 15 hours if that is any help
    Very much so. Thanks!

Big Lake, Minnesota

·
    i only remember maybe a half dozen clod cooks posted on the forum in maybe 10 years
    I better get lots of photos as I go and post as much detail as I can.

Big Lake, Minnesota

·