Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Shoulder

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Help! Usually I do pork butts, but tonight I'm putting on my first shoulder. Gonna do overnight for 12-16 hours at 225-250 and use sugar maple. Anybody have any suggests?[p]Tarheel

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Tarheel,
    The butt is part of the shoulder. Treat it the same way, it will just take longer as the whole shoulder is pretty big. How much does that beast weigh??[p]Sounds like fun. Sugar maple will work great.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Dave T-berry
    Options
    Tarheel,[p] If you have any fruit wood (apple, orange, etc.)
    try mixing it with the maple. I like to use apple and
    maple for a butt.[p] Dave T-berry[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    About 8 lbs...I've had real good luck with butts, but shoulders were on sale and the meat manager talked me into it. He said the grain was different - more of a pulled pork type. I wonder if these guys have ever cooked anything. [p]Tarheel

• Unknown
    Options

I stand corrected - I have a picnic, not a shoulder... Just checked it and the internal temperature is 204,
    dome temperature is 200, and it has been on for 11 hours. At this point I usually take it off, apply some sauce
    (1qt applecider vinegar, 1 stick butter, copious amounts of crushed red pepper, half bottle prepared mustard,
    10 oz hot water - all simmered for 1 hour), wrap in foil and put back on the egg of a few more hours, take a
    long walk on the beach. Looking food at this point. It's gonna be a fine Q and beach day. [p]