Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Duck Breast Canapé

The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 12,712
edited November 2012 in EggHead Forum
Ok, so this is an app we used to make from our catering business in my other life. Always a big hit. We always used Nueske's applewood smoked duck but its hard to get at retail. I found these duck breasts at whole foods. I brined the breasts in an herbed poultry brine then smoked to 140 indirect over cherry chunks. The duck was amazing by itself but now for the canapé:

Take a baguette and slice it thin. Butter it and grill on your pizza stone for a nice smoky finish to the bread. Once cooled, schmear (yes schmear) some triple cream Brie on the baguette. Then put a dollop of fig jam (stonewall kitchens fig and ginger jam is great and available everywhere at snooty stores). Slice the duck lengthwise in half inch strips, then turn and slice in very thin strips keeping a little slice of the fat cap in every slice Pile a large pinch of the sliced duck on top of the fig jam. Then finish with caramelized red onion These are smoky, salty, sweet, and delicious. Slice like this first: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos With fat cap on top like it is here, slice very thin pieces from top to bottom so a tiny piece of meat and fat are in every bite. Here is what it looks like when prepped: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Try to eat just one. Double dog dare ya.

·

Comments

• Gotta go to bed now but that was climactic! I do something with a thin slice of smoked duck in an endive leaf with hot mango chutney

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Gotta go to bed now but that was climactic! I do something with a thin slice of smoked duck in an endive leaf with hot mango chutney
    sounds awesome. Would like to see that (as sobriety permits, of course)

·
  • Very nice CT. I could put down a few of those...
    ·
  • Very nice CT. I could put down a few of those...

I just did :). Damn that's good.

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,408
    edited November 2012
    That looks fantastic! I turned my nose up at the snooty comment though. In a very haughty-like way for effect.
    ·
  • That looks fantastic! I turned my nose up at the snooty comment though. In a very haughty-like way for effect.

Me too. I used to own a snooty store that sold that exact fig and ginger jam so I can say it with conviction.

·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,980
     Try to eat just one. Double dog dare ya.

If you make them, I'll take your dare, but just in case, make plenty. :D

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • That is an amazing dish! Very nice.
    ·
  • BjorgBjorg Posts: 237
    Looks amazing. I want to try to smoke duck breast. What is the dome temp? 225?

Quebec - Canada
    ·
  • BjorgBjorg Posts: 237
    Also  how much wood do I need, a fistfull of chunks?
    Quebec - Canada
    ·
  • Bjorg said:
    Looks amazing. I want to try to smoke duck breast. What is the dome temp? 225?

That would be best but these were done at 350 because I had a spatchcock chicken on at the same time. They were ready in minutes. Plenty of flavor and smoke though but I would go lower and slower next time

·
  • That is an amazing dish! Very nice.
    Wish I could claim credit for it but I love to make it. We had a chef that worked for us that come up with it for a catering menu. Great chef..........when he showed up for work :)

·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,122
    We had these several times now. I made them when you posted a while back. The only thing I added was some basil and they were a hit.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
  • billyray said:
    We had these several times now. I made them when you posted a while back. The only thing I added was some basil and they were a hit.
    I like them with basil and jalapeno too but this is the original version. TFJ pulled out the old catering menu and we went back to the basics. Man it's good.

·