Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

eye of round roast for fajitas

2»

Comments

• That's right LS, Flank only. Talked to a few butchers asking for skirt steak, and they look at me weird, they don't know what it is
    Large, small, and a mini
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Do you guys have anatomically freakish cows or do those cuts just get ground up into Canadian soylent green and get fed back to the livestock?
  • LS your very right. Skirt steak is something  that the butchers here don't know of. Flank steak yes, but that is it. Limited selection of rubs etc too. Wet weather to boot. Kind of a depressing day huh, or eh ;)
    Large, small, and a mini
  • I have a couple of butchers that I have pleasured. I am embarrased about that but I can get skirt, flap and hanger. Even flat iron and tri tip. Once you get the taste out of your mouth the meat is good. These Yanks are years ahead of us on beef.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• and booze too.....
    Large, small, and a mini
  • nolaegghead
    The "reach around" was getting gifts of the finest meats!

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Gary,

We be talkin' bout eye of round heeyah. Canuck too! Where they feed cattle with flaxseed and canola. Tougher than a lacrosse ball. You can't stew it, you can't grind it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited November 2012

Gary,

We be talkin' bout eye of round heeyah. Canuck too! Where they feed cattle with flaxseed and canola. Tougher than a lacrosse ball. You can't stew it, you can't grind it.

Oh.  So, are you coming to Salado so I can show you what Texas beef tastes like?  I'm thinking negimayaki with homemade teriyaki sauce for one.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Yes, I am coming to Salado. Think it will be my first fest as a guest. Love to make some Indian for y'all though. Did you ever try my sate recipe?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• No.  To me, Indians eat raw buffalo hearts and enemy livers.  I prefer Boeuf Bourguignon.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited November 2012
    I'll send you a Canadian eye of round and you can try and make bourguignon outta it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Or Gary can re-sole his Birkenstocks with it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hahahaha. Gary is way too manly to wear those. He is a born and bred Texan after all
    And, I ride a Harley.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• nolaegghead
    But they make your feet feel sooo good.
  • I have the 48 knife Jaccard, and use it for eye of round steaks - it is the only way you can chew the damn things. The benefit is that rubs and marinate seems to get into the meat to add taste to what is a pretty bland piece of meat. Kinda like making home made cubed/minute steaks. Think mine was about $25, great investment. 
    As for eye of round roast, usually use it for Italian beef, cooked slow, very rare, chilled and sliced paper thin. 

@Little_Steven - ever used the 15 knife sets? Was thinking of getting one for sirloin used in kabobs, sometimes it needs a little help. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Ok this cook was postponed for a couple of days, birthdays, invite out to friends. So tonight it was time. Grilled all the onions and peppers, and then did that eye of the round, It had been marinating, I had sliced it up as well. Tenderized it pretty good as well. End results were, as I was told, flavourful with the marinate and spices, but it was chewy. We cut it into little bit size pieces. Will put this into my memoirs. Thanks for the info everyone. Here is a picture of the final result.
    Large, small, and a mini