Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Age old question--Frozen or Fresh ?!? (turkeys btw)

I know this is an age old question and been debated by Alton Brown on Good Eats as well as every other cook/chef.

Thoughts?
Large BGE
Camp Chef 4 burner Griddle

Near Cleveland, Ohio

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I always get a fresh-kill Heritage turkey from a local farm. Much better than frozen, in my opinion. One can do wonders with brining and seasoning, though.
  • I did a frozen one once, I mean frozen when I put it on. Was the best I've had.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I try fresh for everything when I can, including the turkey I'm doing this year. Bc I just like it.
    Boom
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    My parents made me a frozen turkey once...ONCE.
    ~ Johnny Dangerously
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Best turkey I have done has been fresh.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Steven - where you on the plane-safety team that accidentally used frozen turkeys in an air-canon to test plane windshields (to simulate bird strikes)?  Just curious.
  • No, in truth we had some unanticipated guests for Christmas a couple of years ago. Had the bird in the freezer and just stuck it on an egg. It was more moist and the exterior was better than any others I've done. Relatively short window for getting the bag out but very good. Took about 25 minutes a pound as opposed to the 12-14 I usuallly get but it was ten pounds lighter than the main one so they both finished at about the same time. It was stripped to the bone and the other one still had stuff on it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    No, in truth we had some unanticipated guests for Christmas a couple of years ago. Had the bird in the freezer and just stuck it on an egg. It was more moist and the exterior was better than any others I've done. Relatively short window for getting the bag out but very good. Took about 25 minutes a pound as opposed to the 12-14 I usuallly get but it was ten pounds lighter than the main one so they both finished at about the same time. It was stripped to the bone and the other one still had stuff on it.
    That's awesome.  You get a nice smoke ring?
  • Yes and I didn't use any smoking wood. Maple Leaf lump which is birch and maple. I haven't had the chance to try it again but it was really good. Did a frozen butt once too. Same results, except for pulling the bag out.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Okay, so I got the fresh, which I have always done also, but as hard as it is to believe there are not any butcher shops within 40 minutes of my  house in the West Burbs of Cleveland. 

The fresh turkeys at the grocery stores, they have the Range Free, Antibiodic Free Turkeys and the Amish Fresh Turkeys (They said Amish they can't guarantee how they are raised)

I thought I heard that even fresh at the grocery store had been 'partially' frozen and you might as well buy a frozen bird that was flash frozen immediately after cleaning.

Not trying to re-invent the wheel, but our dinner list has grown to 25 that I am cooking for now.

For the experts, how much do I need?  Was thinking two 16-17# birds and a breast and a couple extra legs and thighs....of course need plenty of leftovers also.

Thanks
    Large BGE
    Camp Chef 4 burner Griddle

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • nolaegghead
    Nice.  Smoke ring is from NOx gas.  You'll get a nice smoke ring hooking your boston butt up to the tailpipe of a 1967 Camaro.

Why do they put that damn stuff back in the cavity?  It's some kind of soft-pack version of an egyptian conopic jar.  I had the same problem trying to brine a semi frozen turkey.

Don't think Steven is a member of this cast....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    hahahahahaa

(presented by Professor Flintstone, a 22 year dinner guest veteran at his sister's Thanksgiving Feast.  The first of which, the professor says, a Spam turkey would have improved the culinary experience.)

Lesson 1.  Which do you prefer, fresh or frozen?  Repeat after me.  "I really can't tell which it is, but I can tell you YOURS is delicious!"

That is all you need to know.

Flint, Michigan
  • Skiddy,

More of a Rick Mercer guy here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZE0TuKTpo4

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• DINNER GUEST 101

(presented by Professor Flintstone, a 22 year dinner guest veteran at his sister's Thanksgiving Feast.  The first of which, the professor says, a Spam turkey would have improved the culinary experience.)

Lesson 1.  Which do you prefer, fresh or frozen?  Repeat after me.  "I really can't tell which it is, but I can tell you YOURS is delicious!"

That is all you need to know.

Professor Donkey here.  My sister just cancelled on me.  Her mother-in-law had some serious medical issues and is self conscious of her appearance.  I couldn't guarantee my 4 year old won't say "What's that?"  or "You look funny."

So what's all this about turkey?

Flint, Michigan