Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time dishes

Im finally about to start using my new egg and would like some ideas as to easy(ier) things to cook for the first time. While learning how to use my new toy I don't want to start with something that is challenging to really do right. Ultimately I want to perfect brisket, but I figured that's not the best thing to start with. So, what's a good dish that an egg-newbie like myself could try?

Comments

• I would suggest trying whatever is your favorite dish that you have grilled/cooked in the past.  It will give you insights on how the egg differs from your previous setup and hopefully allow you to appreciate your new egg.

My first time was some grilled chicken breasts, because that is what was lying around.  It happens to be one of my wife's favorites, and she could clearly tell a difference between them and the ones I used to do on the gasser.  Made a great first impression on her, and you know: Happy wife happy life.
  • Chicken wings and pork butt. I have not been able to screw up at all. I use a rub for each. Corn on the cob as also been 100% success rate for me. I could name a few sides too if interested. For me burgers have actually been harder on egg than gasser.
    Boom
  • Shorter/higher temp cook = bone in/skin on chicken breast (350 direct or indirect until 165 degrees)

Low/slow = pork butt (very forgiving and allows you to practice temp control)

Requirement with the egg is an electronic food thermometer....smoking/cooking to proper temperature is the single most important thing to create impressive finished product with the egg.  You can experiment with different woods/lump/rubs but cooking to temp and not over is critical.

• Burgers or chicken before you work up to ribs and butts

+1 on the temp control (Thermapen)
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Spatchcock chicken and pork butts are hard to screw up, believe me, I've tried!  Plus they both have a "Wow Factor".
    Flint, Michigan
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Chicken thighs, spatchcock chicken are great cooks to start with.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Spatchcock chicken...good and easy.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

I recommend doing chicken (spatchcock or bone in breast) as others have suggested.

I would add that you should not add any wood chips/chunks the first couple cooks.  For me the first chicken I did with Cherry was way too strong and it left a bad taste in the mouth of SWMBO.

Now I'm constantly listening too - It's good but too smoky comments.  I recently did wings that she thought were amazing - but even then (with no smoking wood added) she had to mention smoke.  I only use wood now on long slow cooks like ribs/butts/brisket - hoping that we can climatize to a new level of flavour so I can start to bring smoke into more cooks. 

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Spatchcock chicken. This was my first cook and came out great..

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Great. Thanks so much everyone!