Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Red Snapper on the small... YUM!!!!!!!!

Options
Smokin Joe
Smokin Joe Posts: 441
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
There is a new fish market in Sugar Hill, GA right on GA 20 that is just awesome - Savannah Fish Market. Yesterday I went in there looking for something to cook on my small (cause my large was loaded with 20 lbs of prok shoulders) and got myself a whole red snapper.
I really didn't have a plan - just liked to look of the fish.
The owner sliced it open for me and I ended up slicing the other side of the bones - think whole fish, two filets sliced away from the bone.
Sauted up some red, green, hot banana & jalepeno peppers (grown in my garden) with a large vadalia onion. At the very end I added in about 1/4 cup of rice vinegar & a sprinkle of oregano to the pepper medly and let cool.
I also made a compound butter - 1/2 stick of butter, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, 1 teapoon of DP Jamacain Firewalk and a sprinkle of oregano. Once blended I spread it in a thin layer on a piece of parchment paper and put it in the fridge to cool.
Once the butter was cool I peeled it away from the parchment and laid it into the inside of the snapper between the filet and the bone, stuffed both sides with the pepper concoction, tied it together in three places, three lemon slices on top and onto the small with the longer of the two GrateMates in so I was up & away from the fire. Cooked it at 300 for 15 minutes per side and it tasted phenominal!!!
Nice wood fired flavor. No additional wood for flavor - just BGE lump. I will definately do this again! Sorry - no pix, but it looked purty too. Joe[p]

Comments

• Hasenpheffer
    Hasenpheffer Posts: 156
    Options
    Smokin Joe,
    Thanks for the info. I live very close to this market and have been tempted to stop and check it out. Once I figure out a seafood menu on the egg I'll give them a try.[p]

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 441
    Options
    Hasenfeffer,
    it is a great place - family owned! This weekend he is running a special on small lobster tails (I'm guessing 6 to 8 oz) for $5 each and King Crab legs for $13.99 p'lb. I also picked up a couple of dozen clams and did steamed clams in a white wine, garlic & EVOO - they were fantastic with a loaf of fresh baked bread.
    I'll be going back ther often. Later! Joe

• Hasenpheffer
    Hasenpheffer Posts: 156
    Options
    Smokin Joe,
    STOP IT...your making me hungry! lol
    I've passed by this place almost everyday but now that I've heard good feedback I'll give it a try.