Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Charcuterie Style Brined Cherry Smoked Duck Breast

The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 12,451
edited November 2012 in EggHead Forum
I brined 2 whole duck breasts and a whole yardbird in the poultry brine from Ruhlman/Polcyn's charcuterie book.

Both were out of this world. The cook was at 350 indirect with cherry chunks. The duck was pulled at 140, which was by accident. Meant to pull at 125 but was on the phone. I don't think I would have liked it that rare. The brine already made it super tender and juicy. My wife thought it was raw. It firmed up quite a bit in the fridge though and felt right. Absolutely delicious. I'm going to make my Duck Breast Canapé with it tonight and will post pics.

Here's the duck:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Yard bird to follow.

·

Comments

• billyraybillyray Posts: 1,120
    Do you score the fat side of the breast, so it renders out more?
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
  • billyray said:
    Do you score the fat side of the breast, so it renders out more?
    I did not on this cook. I normally do but just wanted to see how it did this way. I normally cook it inside and don't brine (or buy a breast from Nueske's when I can). I'll never buy another one. This one was great

·
  • I didn't take any pics of the yard bird but I'll just say it was the juiciest, tastiest whole bird I've ever done. No seasoning at all other than the brine and cherry smoke. The skin picked up the cherry so much that it made it sweet and taste just like cherries. It even permeated the meat with a bright red color and sweet flavor. You would have never agreed that I didn't use some type of cherry rub. The brine was salty (but perfectly so) and the sweet from the wood was a perfect balance. Cutting board had moisture pouring off the sides when I quartered it up. I'll never by a rotisserie chicken again. Awesome.

Time to buy that new fridge..............

·
  • Where are you getting your non enhanced birds? CM?
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • Where are you getting your non enhanced birds? CM?
    whole foods

·
  • Posting the canapé now on its own little thread so I can bookmark it

·
  • How do you get the l'accent et grave on that?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • How do you get the l'accent et grave on that?
    it just pops up on my iphone and ipad.

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,812
    I'm not worthy!
    ^:)^

·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,776

You da man!!

=D>

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings