Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold weather mistakes

Options
What mistakes should I look out for this winter when cooking in the cold and the use of place setters in and out of hot/cold conditions....anything else to keep me from spending money on bonehead mistakes???

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    You didn't say where you live,but here in Pennsylvania I don't do anything different in the Winter with my Plate setter or anything else (except remove the snow from the BGE or wear a jacket). If I lived in North Dakota I might be more cautious.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    live in NC....

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options

IL egger here.  A dark colored Carhartt thermal hoody delegated for grilling is nice to have.  Not bulky, very warm.  Same goes for the Isotoner type slippers.  Eliminates tracking into the kitchen.

Try to keep the draft door out of the wind or at least downwind.   

I don't do anything different with the platesetter.  It stays inside the egg for storage.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2012
    Options

Sorry, didn't see your recent reply.  Do they even have winter in NC? ;)

Will still leave my first post up, unedited.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    Dealer here in GA did tell me about a guy who left his platesetter out in the rain and it got wet and froze and cracked when he put it in the egg.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Once it got down into the 40s and my hands were shaking so bad I dropped my beer on the egg table and SWMBO accused me of having a drinking problem because I spilled my drink.
    Options
    Once it got down into the 40s and my hands were shaking so bad I dropped my beer on the egg table and SWMBO accused me of having a drinking problem because I spilled my drink.
    That run-on sentence makes me think you have a drinking problem. 

:))

OP, I think you are fine in NC as long as the Ceramics don't get wet and then freeze. As long as you warm the PS up while the grill heats up, no problem. I'm in MD and have seen no issues with my Dad's egg; he leaves everything in the egg or on the screened-in porch. 
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Options

No difference from 90+ degrees to -20 degrees.  I leave my plate setter outside on a shelf.  It gets covered in snow.  I put it into my hot egg with no issues.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Probably shouldn't put a hot plate setter down in the snow or on ice. 

Don't slip on the ice while egging in the winter.