Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all got to celebrate those tasty food holidays last week, we sure enjoyed them! We are even more excited about the beginning of fall, for so many reasons, but mainly for experiencing the cool, crisp air while being outside cooking up the best recipes the season has to offer. We especially love these Beer Pork Tenderloin and Ground Beef Acorn Squash recipes! Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Pre Brine Question

I was looking at the label on the turkey breast I am doing for thanksgiving. I could not find where it indicated whether it was brined or not. It did say, however, something about a 15% solution. What am I looking for on this label? Dont want to brine it if it is already brined. Thanks.

Comments

• tulocaytulocay Posts: 1,215
    I've been researching the same thing. I believe if it says 15%, then it has already been brined. In found some butterball turkeys yesterday that say natural and nothing added. That is the bird I'm going for next week and I will brine.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • When in doubt ask the butcher.  If the butcher is no help, get a Butterball toss the gravy packet and pop up timer in the trash. 

I have never had a Butterball fail me and after i add compound butter and herbs it is good eats.
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,116
    You probably won't see the word brined on the label, what you'll see are the words solution or enhanced and a percentage of solution. Multiply the weight of the bird by the % and multiply that by the price per pound. Thats what you are paying for the brining solution.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini