Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Can I smoke a turkey using a V-Rack?

Most of the the posts that I have seen about smoking turkey have shown the pictures of birds on the pedestal upright roasters.  I would think it would be fine to use a V-rack, but would like for someone who has done a turkey that way to reinforce my thinking.

Also what is the heat range that most of you shoot for with a turkey.

TIA

Comments

• SMITTYtheSMOKERSMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,541
    edited November 2012

Yes, we use the v-rack along with the BGE drip pan in the large.  It can handle a 15lb bird comfortably.  We cook at 325/350 indirect.   We pull when we get a 160/165 IT in the thigh meat. We have been cooking the 13/15lb birds in under 3 hours.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Yep , been there done that , turned out great!
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Yes you can, did it last weekend
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 8,599
    Here is a popular method using a more standard setup. 

Note in the pics MM is using a trivet so you can't really see it, but a V-Rack over the pan would work just fine as well.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
    Thanks to all for the good answers.  Going to do one this weekend.
  • i'm all rib rack every year for at least 7-8 years. works great
    Keeping it Weird in the ATX
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 9,755
    edited November 2012
    I'm "All In" like a newly released book :)) with trailers.  Been slow roasting/smoking turkeys on various equipment for 30+ years-only screwed it up once-and it was the Indian not the arrow!  You've got all the toys to hit the home-run. 
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs 
    Pit Barrel Cooker
    ABC- 
  • DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
    lousubcap said:
    I'm "All In" like a newly released book :)) with trailers.  Been slow roasting/smoking turkeys on various equipment for 30+ years-only screwed it up once-and it was the Indian not the arrow!  You've got all the toys to hit the home-run. 
    and it was the Indian not the arrow! 

lou, that's what I tell my boys about their golf clubs!!!!
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 3,629
    Duganboy said:
    lousubcap said:
    and it was the Indian not the arrow! 

lou, that's what I tell my boys about their golf clubs!!!!
    "Oh, come on Dad! If these clubs were bent to my lie, and the shafts were spine aligned I could hit them better!"
    XL and a Mini Max Egg in Cincinnati, Ohio