Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Anyone have fly problems when using the egg?

I recently got my egg and have had massive flys around when I am cooking. This usually results into a bunch in the house. Anyone have a solution? I'll take any suggestions as this is quite a problem in the house.
·

Comments

• I did until I got this...  http://www.bigstinkyflytrap.com/ . It's scary at just how good it works.
    St. Mary's, GA
    ·
  • Mosquitoes here til September

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • I recently had a fly orgy on my back porch. It was like one of the plagues from the bible. Hundreds of flys and most were boofin. I bet I killed 1 hundred before my swatting arm got tired. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • Travis, Not a fly alive here man but it's stinkin' cold

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • I did until I got this...  http://www.bigstinkyflytrap.com/ . It's scary at just how good it works.
    Skeeters not a problem but flys are.  Just ordered one.  Hope it works.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
    ·
  • KoskoKosko Posts: 535
    I recently had a fly orgy on my back porch. It was like one of the plagues from the bible. Hundreds of flys and most were boofin. I bet I killed 1 hundred before my swatting arm got tired. 

I think I had one of those fly orgys IN my house this past summer.me and my wife I know killed over a hundred ! Thank you @SouthGasSmoker I will be buying that this next spring! And it's like they are attracted when I am smoking on the egg!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
    ·
  • Travis, Not a fly alive here man but it's stinkin' cold
    I lived in Fairbanks, AK for 4 years. I enjoyed the cold but the dang skeeters in the summer really cut into my beer drinking and debauchery. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • I can sit on my patio all day and zero flys. Within 20-30 mins of lighting my egg I gotta sit in front yard or garage. It's unbearable in the warm months and in SC that's 8-9 months a year.
    Boom
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,791
    Here's a fun way to dispatch flies.   With a salt gun.

http://bugasalt.com/how/

....and the worst video ad I've ever seen...

·
  •  

I told Wilma that I want one for Christmas more than a Red Ryder BB Gun!

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·

I told Wilma that I want one for Christmas more than a Red Ryder BB Gun!
    Don't put an eye out! :D

·
  • No bugs but cat infestation is bad.  Living in the country, "you might be a redneck if .  .  .  "image
    ·
  • I bought one of those bugasalts during his campaign. It finally arrived about 3 weeks ago. Works like a champ!
    ·
  • JohnMcJohnMc Posts: 76
    So just how stinky is the bigstinky flytrap?  I bought one of those little bag things at Home Depot and it drew the flies but it smelled so horrible I couldn't keep it anywhere near the egging area.
    ·
    Thanks for the heads up on this type of trap....We have a heck of a time with yellow jackets and red wasps. Gonna get one of these. 

Alexander City,Al
    ·
  • JohnMc said:
    So just how stinky is the bigstinky flytrap?  I bought one of those little bag things at Home Depot and it drew the flies but it smelled so horrible I couldn't keep it anywhere near the egging area.
    You want to position it a good ways off from your patio because it lives up to its name.  This past summer we have filled the gallon jar twice full of flies and yes it is as gross as it sounds!
    St. Mary's, GA
    ·
  • BamaEGGBamaEGG Posts: 169
    This might go without saying but do you have dogs & if so do you keep the yard cleaned up after them. You can cut your fly problem down by probably 75% if you clean the yard at least once every 5-6 days. It breaks their reproductive cycle which is 6-7 days. Of course you'd get better results if your neighbors did the same. The average fly will keep within about a 150 yard radius.

Sorry to get all technical. I own a business that cleans dog waste from peoples yards so I see this a lot and its really helped at my house with my cooking. Course doesnt matter if you dont have dogs.
    ·
  • XLBalcoXLBalco Posts: 575

this might help

[url]

·
  • XLBalcoXLBalco Posts: 575
    edited November 2012

lol - same one as nola posted- new ad though

·
  • BamaEGG said:
    This might go without saying but do you have dogs & if so do you keep the yard cleaned up after them. You can cut your fly problem down by probably 75% if you clean the yard at least once every 5-6 days. It breaks their reproductive cycle which is 6-7 days. Of course you'd get better results if your neighbors did the same. The average fly will keep within about a 150 yard radius.

Sorry to get all technical. I own a business that cleans dog waste from peoples yards so I see this a lot and its really helped at my house with my cooking. Course doesnt matter if you dont have dogs.
    Good advice, I clean up daily, if I waited 5-6 days I'd need to rent a Bobcat. 

Don't really have a fly problem, but we do have more than our share of spiders and yellow jacket hornets. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • BamaEGG said:

I don't have a dog but neighbor does and she keeps outside. There is a fence between us but I know that wont stop flys since they can, fly. But I can stay in my back yard all day have zero flys. It's only after I get the Egg going then there is a mini swarm! But that's good info about the cycle bc I plan to get a lab for my kid in the spring time.
    Boom
    ·
  • I've had dismal luck with traps.  Fine for a farm but not my yard.

I got the Exicutioner Pro from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TT3GDC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Great for those flies cruising in lazy circles aroung the BGE.  A swell "pop" and blue flash when they go down.  Not as good for sitting flies.  I just ordered the Bugasalt for them. 

My actuary says I'm dead.
    ·
  • I also use the Executioner Pro. Very satisfying experience electrocuting insects with the nice blue spark. Sometimes it takes a few jolts to fry them good. Could be a useful training tool for the neighbor's barking dogs as well.

That Bugassault looks like a must have item.
    ·
    You just need a giant purple dinosaur. 

·
  • @nolaegghead how much have you been drinking and what was in your search string where you found that?
    Boom
    ·
    @nolaegghead how much have you been drinking and what was in your search string where you found that?
    I remembered the song, and I'm a HUGE Barney fan.  Not. I just remembered the song.

·
  • I can sit on my patio all day and zero flys. Within 20-30 mins of lighting my egg I gotta sit in front yard or garage. It's unbearable in the warm months and in SC that's 8-9 months a year.
    same here in NC
    ·
  • I don't like cooking with other guys near my egg, so no fly problems here.
    XL BGE
    ·
  • mb99zzmb99zz Posts: 182
    Not too many fly problems...but the stink bugs are brutal where I'm at.   I get them on and in the egg.  I had one on the inside of the egg up in the daisy wheel.  He was cooked and his last action in life was to add his own smoke to the egg.  I know my mom always said "we don't hate"...but I bloody hate those little pests.  
    ·