Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg in Hawaii!

guavawood
guavawood Posts: 213
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
4509493377.jpg
<p />I went to Lanai Things on Oahu and bought my first NEW LARGE EGG! They just started to carry them in March and I'm going to help them get the word out about BGE! Also got my first ever bag of BGE lump. Way cool. The guy thought I was nuts lifting the large egg box with all the ceramic packed in it all by myself into my truck while he went to get more parts. I told him that's nothing...try carrying out guava logs up a muddy hill!! Got home safely unpacked and nothing broken! Pu it all together in about 1.5 hours. It took so long because I was trying hard not to scratch the nest finish. Rust here is wicked! I'll be replacing any bolts with stainless steel soon I'm sure. [p]going toi try spare ribs first. Any clue how long it should take?[p]Aloha![p]Greg Kemp

Comments

• tinman
    tinman Posts: 86
    guava wood,
    got my guava wood yesterday, using it tomorrow![p]great price, great service![p]jorge

• mule
    mule Posts: 152
    guava wood,[p]Here is a link to Wess B's recipe section. I have used his technique before and had good ribs!!![p]mule

[ul][li]http://www.wessb.com/Cooks/cooks.htm[/ul]
  • Hey Greg![p]Got my 10# care package on Friday. I'm going to try spare ribs and chicken tomorrow with guava wood smoke. Really looking forward to it![p]How pungent is the guava wood? Normally I would burn three or four golf ball sized chunks of hickory to get the right amount of smoke for ribs and chicken (medium). How much guava wood should I use?
  • PizzandQs
    PizzandQs Posts: 42
    Hi Howard,
    Try www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=103249
    Have fun,
    Steve
  • guavawood
    BBQBluesStringer,[p]that sounds about right since our chunks are usually bigger than golf balls.[p]Can you believe I have to wait till next weekend to do my first ribs? My wife already made her costco run. I think I've opened my new EGG a dozen times already just to look in it!![p]Aloha![p]Greg Kemp
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    2Spares.jpg
    <p />Hey Greg.... nice egg![p]Try cooking the spares for 6 - 8 hours indirect around 250 grate level. When the bones start pulling back and they start getting flimsy, they're done or close to it depending on the texture you like.
    Good luck and congrats.... you are going to pour a beer over your head and do the funky chicken around the egg to break it in aren't you?[p]john

• guavawood
    WooDoggies,[p]Thank you for the compliment! The EGG is very photogenic isn't it? Your rib cooking method sounds low and slow...do you use a drip pan below? Fill just above holes with lump or more?[p]Thanks and Aloha![p]Greg Kemp[p]
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    guava wood,[p]Yes, you can use a drip pan or a plate setter or anything that will create a barrier between the direct line of heat of the coals and your ribs.
    I like to have a few inches of air space separating the ribs and the barrier... that distance will allow the air to flow easily around the meat.[p]I will also do ribs direct as djm5x9 teaches here but you will have to be more careful keeping the grate temp from getting above 220 - 230. With that method, you will want as much distance between the ribs and heat source as you can.
    For direct ribs I will clean out the firebox, build a smallish fire on the metal grate, then cover with fresh lump and smoking wood, let the fire establish and smoke clean up, then put the ribs up "in the dome" on an extended grill. Works real good.
    Hope this helps and is not too late..... let us know how they turn out.[p]John