Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Newest Obsession-Finishing Salts

I'll be trying some new salts for cooking and finishing, as I have been reading about them. Fleur de sel and Sel gris, both from France. Anybody have any insight or experience with finishing salts?
Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
·

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,808
    edited November 2012
    SWMBO recently bought some Himalayan salt - course for the grinder and fine.   They taste salty.  And that's my favorite seasoning.

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,468
    I mainly use it for fermentation(sauerkraut) and finishing. The higher moisture content of it keeps it from sucking moisture out of the food(veggies and fresh fruit). It's great sprinkled on a steak after cooking. The minerals from sea water give it a complexity not found in regular NaCl.

·
  • Isn't all salt   sea salt?
    ·
    Pickling salt is pure sodium chloride. 

Sea salt is mostly sodium chloride, but with some other minerals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sea_salt-e-dp_hg.svg

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,468
    Isn't all salt   sea salt?
    Here is a good synopsis from our friends at Morton's.
    ·
  • Isn't all salt   sea salt?
    Here is a good synopsis from our friends at Morton's.
    Very interesting !!

Alexander City,Al
    ·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,120
    I guess you could argue that salt that was mined on land was sea salt, because the land was once covered with salt water and then the water receeded.
    ·
  • There are a ton of salts available. Generally it's all sea salt mixed with the mineral content of the rock where it is harvested. Mined salt is typically just salt.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • FockerFocker Posts: 1,650
    Adam Perry Lang has a chapter in his book, Charred and Scruffed about finishing salts.  He moistens kosher salt with a vinegar, wine, lime or lemon juice.  Then add herbs and spices.  Make a slush and lay out on parchment paper.  105 degrees in a food dehydrator for 12 hours.  It is on my list of things to try. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

·
  • IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Better than a bath salt obsession.
    ·
    Bath salts have been delivery systems for designer drugs for years.  Yur not suppozed to EAT it!

·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,757
    I got some Himalayan Pink Salt last year for Christmas. Haven't used it/forgot I had it till now. Wasn't sure how to use it and didn't want to waste it.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,120
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,757
    Thanks. I remember pulling up that exact page when I got it. Guess I need to break it open and try it.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·