Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Get ready to turn up the heat as we dive into August. While there are only a few weeks left to perfect those tailgate recipes, summer isn’t over yet! Two things we’ll be making this month are Chile Rubbed Grilled Pork Chops and Bell Pepper Kabobs. Then, relax after a cookout with a cool dessert cooked on your EGG - Ice Cream Sandwiches! You can mix and match your favorite cookie flavors with ice cream flavors. Simple, yet delicious!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Burned the hay out of my arm & face!

Alright...been cooking on my second large egg...for 5 years now and ran the temp up to (whats at the 180 degree position)...900 degrees??? And burped it 2wice...the 3rd time the flame came out so bad that I couldn't do anything but throw up the lid as fast as I could & lick my wounds! What a smell...and I don't mean the burgers. Fortunately the lid stayed up and did not come crashing down and break the lid or something. How come after burping it 2wice it still got me???   Jeff
2nd large Egg Nest

Comments

• Congratulations !  It took you 5 years, but now you are an official Egghead.  Wear your scars proudly.   8-}

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Well no scars...but alot of little red dots! lol  AND NO HAIR!
    2nd large Egg Nest
  • I've been wondering lately what separates a newbie(like myself) from a true egghead, I guess I just got my answer.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• You need to open the lid fully after the burp. If you closed the lid after burping without opening it fully, you added oxygen to a burning fire creating the flashback of flame. Did that once before and the flame shot out a good 3 feet. Not cool at all.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,965
    Dang it - enough is enough.  That's the last time I cook pizzas nekked.

• Dang it - enough is enough.  That's the last time I cook pizzas nekked.
    I think I just heard cheers come out from your neighbors.   :))

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

Dang it - enough is enough.  That's the last time I cook pizzas nekked.
    I think I just heard cheers come out from your neighbors.   :))
    I think that was hearty applause.

• Or moans!
    2nd large Egg Nest
  • I guess I became an official Egghead this weekend to, Got flashed pretty good and yeah, the smell of burning hair stinks!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • You need to open the lid fully after the burp. If you closed the lid after burping without opening it fully, you added oxygen to a burning fire creating the flashback of flame. Did that once before and the flame shot out a good 3 feet. Not cool at all.
    Not Cool...Not Cool! haha   ok so the mistake is closing it after raising it lets say 3 inches?
    2nd large Egg Nest
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,312
    i have had good luck with a quick burp, then hold open an inch for a second or two, then slowly continue to open. i wear welders gloves when its that hot

i have had good luck with a quick burp, then hold open an inch for a second or two, then slowly continue to open. i wear welders gloves when its that hot
    +1 on opening it slow.  I've only had one depilatory accident involving FAME.

• henapplehenapple Posts: 14,598

me after my first pizza...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Congratulations !  It took you 5 years, but now you are an official Egghead.  Wear your scars proudly.   8-}
    Exactly!  I remember the day I became an official EggHead...  Scary, stinky, and one hell of a learning experience.  X_X
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences -
    You can find me on Facebook & Instagram, too! 
  • KoskoKosko Posts: 535
    This is the suit BGE is starting to send out to newbies. image
    image.jpg 28.7K
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • @neumski correcto!

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• Kosko said:
    This is the suit BGE is starting to send out to newbies. image
    Baaahahahaha!
    2nd large Egg Nest
    the egg is the bomb!

Exactly!  I remember the day I became an official EggHead...  Scary, stinky, and one hell of a learning experience.  X_X

I'm sure glad girls do it too lol Be careful  I know I will from now on...and I'm such a Pyro with a wood burning stove in my house. You think I'd have this stuff figured out by now!

2nd large Egg Nest
  • That which doesn't kill you makes you strong

Steve 

Caledon, ON