Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When I go over 600 degrees - the lid slides back

Does this happen to anyone else? It never happened on my MBGE.

I had it adjusted to line up perfectly. I can cook multiple times at lower temps and nothing happens - then I crank it up for pizza or to burn off some soot from a Low and Slow and this happens.

The first time it happened - I thought maybe it would line back up after the temps came back down...Nope. I had to loosen the rings, line it up and tighten back down. Then it happened again. Can someone give me an idea? BTW - I know that the rings appear to be tightened unequally, but they are to an identical torque setting.

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I remember reading on here that the bands expand due to the high heat burn and they can move out of place.  I've yet to experience this, so I'll wait for someone to chime in and confirm this.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    oh hai, yez, the coefficient of thermal expansion iz hiyah in the steelz than the ceramikx.  So the steelz expands moar.
    Tighten them down moar
    What about tightening them when they're hot?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead

henapple said:
    What about tightening them when they're hot?
    Good question.  I'm afraid to try it.  Anyone?
    i let mine sit at around 350 and let the heat sink in for a couple hours and tightened them, bge really frowned at this but it worked for some of my higher cooks. dont think this is the problem here, bands got loose but didnt slide back like that, that looks more like a hinge issue, or maybe the spring is cracked  or fatigued, ive had that happen before
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    Since it didn't return back after cooling, something moved.  If it was completely due to thermal expansion, it should cool back to the same shape.
  • Grambler
    Grambler Posts: 153
    Since it didn't return back after cooling, something moved.  If it was completely due to thermal expansion, it should cool back to the same shape.
    Yeah - weird - I definitely thought that until it did not return
    Same thing happened to me. I have just left it slightly skewed and it seems to hold temps and smoke just fine.
  • Grambler said:
    Same thing happened to me. I have just left it slightly skewed and it seems to hold temps and smoke just fine.
    Must be nice to not be an irrational perfectionist. :)
  • Grambler
    Grambler Posts: 153
    Grambler said:
    Must be nice to not be an irrational perfectionist. :)
    So you've met my wife? :)
  • fruitguy
    fruitguy Posts: 303
    happens on my xlbge and will sometimes bind.  have moved the ring and tried many things, just living with it at this time.
  • tmas
    tmas Posts: 35
    Mine is like that too. I put a few washers on the back where the top connects to the hing to help push it forward. This eliminated some of the underbite, but not completely. I'm just living with the fact I can see the bottom gasket on the front. The seal is still good all the way around so I'm not worried about cooking.
    XL BGE Katy, TX (otherwise known as Far West Houston)
  • I, too, have decided to live with it. It seems no matter what I do to tighten/loosen/adjust/line-up/seal, after a few weeks of varied cooking my XL always shifts.
    "Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    fruitguy said:
    happens on my xlbge and will sometimes bind.  have moved the ring and tried many things, just living with it at this time.
    +1.  I have about a 1/4 inch offset on my XL as well.  But, with a good gasket - as JimReed's seems to be - the impact is negligible.  I am not worried about burning the gasket on the overhang.
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • If you read your instructions that came with the Egg, it tells you to check the bolts for tightness regularly.  Basic science here.  Everything expands when heated.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!