Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Rack of Pork

It's that time of year again at Costco.  At least some locations have had rack of pork in stock for a week or two.  I have one in the freezer and one on the egg right now (cooking it indirect at 320F dome).
·

Comments

• gte1gte1 Posts: 376
    One of my favorite cuts of meat. This is a must try you will not do just one
    George
    ·
  • njlnjl Posts: 785
    I was pressed for time yesterday (at least I thought I was), so I put the RoP on before the egg had quite stabilized.

3:00pm 300F dome, 46F IT
    3:10pm 350F dome, 48F IT, shut the vents a bit
    3:30pm 310F dome, 66F IT
    4:00pm 320F dome, 99F IT
    5:00pm 320F dome, 142F IT, removed, covered with foil

I put my usual BBQ rub on it in the morning.  I'd thought about cutting it in half and doing half BBQ, half just salt/pepper and maybe garlic...but chickened out.  For smoke, I used 3 discs of oak cut from a large fallen branch in the back yard.

Most are cut much thinner than that top right one.  When I cut the first few, I had the silly idea that I'd be able to easily split the pieces.  Oak is HARD.
    oak.jpg 612.5K
    ·
  • gte1gte1 Posts: 376
    So, how did it turn out?
    George
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,505
    I spent a small fortune trying to split oak, it's tough stuff.   Need to get a hydraulic splitter.

·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 5,614
    I'm thinking of trying one of these for a X-mas get together.  Might have to go to Costco for a couple of test runs.  I was thinking of a crown roast of pork, but considering it is really the same cut of meat not sure if it is worth the extra expense/trouble to get it cut into a circle. 

I was thinking of something like this:

(Not sure about the morel sauce though...morels sound like they are hard to come by). 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • njlnjl Posts: 785
    I wouldn't bother with the crown thing.  BBQ rack of pork is pretty easy.  Just use your rub of choice.  Smoke/cook indirect at your temp of choice, and pull at about 140-145F.  I've cooked them anywhere from about 250F to 350F.  I've posted pics of them before...they always turn out about the same.  The only things I did differently this time were doming some foil on the plate setter to direct drippings into the fire, and used oak instead of apple and hickory.
    ·
    Cool- thanks for the tips.  I am going to give this a try (hoping my Costco carries them).  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,760
    I'm thinking of trying one of these for a X-mas get together.  Might have to go to Costco for a couple of test runs.  I was thinking of a crown roast of pork, but considering it is really the same cut of meat not sure if it is worth the extra expense/trouble to get it cut into a circle. 

(Not sure about the morel sauce though...morels sound like they are hard to come by). 

I love a Crown Roast during the holidays.  My butcher never charges extra to tie it up.

http://site.outdora.com/blog/crown-roast-big-green-egg-richard-fl-1431.html
    ·
    edited November 2012

I love a Crown Roast during the holidays.  My butcher never charges extra to tie it up.

http://site.outdora.com/blog/crown-roast-big-green-egg-richard-fl-1431.html
    Thanks Richard...no I'm torn...that looks incredible as well.  

·