Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

About to buy an EGG

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was about to buy a gas grill when the sales clerk introduced me to the EGG.All I have read on various forums is positive.I am curious regarding how much tinkering is required with the EGG while cooking.
Getting the right temperature and maintaining it etc.Maintenance of the EGG.I would be cooking the normal stuff and would not anticipate cooking at temperatures more than 750 degrees.I see that from time to time the gasket needs replacing.How often does that happen?What about adjusting the bans and the lid not lining up.Are these normal characteristics of the EGG?Finally I am trying to decide between xtra large and large.If I'm cooking 2 or 3 racks of ribs I really don't like cutting them in half to fit on the large Egg.
Any help is appreciated.Sales people have been real good but you guys know the real answers

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Gator Bob,
    Temperature control is relatively easy after you have had a little practice. The only maintenance is cleaning out ash once in a while. Gasket replacement depends on how you treat it. You don't need an extra large to do slabs of ribs. We all routinely do 3 slabs in the large egg.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Gator Bob, I've been eggin about a month or so, and the learning curve is pretty fast if you use it 2-3 times a week. Not much tinkering, but it does take some attention.
    Cooking normal stuff is usually lower than 750*, unless you do a lot of searing. I've replaced my gasket once, but the dealer thought it probably was defective and not my fault. I was lucky enough to have a dealer who delivered and set it up for me. We have a large, and it's been plenty large enough. Good Luck you're gonna love it!
    Mike

• FlaMike,
    The 750 degrees would primarily be for steaks.[p]

• RubberGuy
    RubberGuy Posts: 1
    Gator Bob,[p]I have a large and a small. Aligning the top and bottom dome was not an issue. I think this is a problem with the X-Large which is a relatively new size and still seems to have a few bugs. You should be easily able to do 3 racks of ribs especially if you use a rib rack or inverted v-rack. Temperature control is pretty easy after you use it a few times. I've had my large for a year now and though the gasket is getting worn I don't see the need to replace it yet. The more high temperature cooks over say 700 F the sooner it get worn out. You won't be sorry if you buy one. It's addictive!
  • The Naked Whiz,
    And you can get 3 to 4 slabs in a medium egg using a rib rack. I think the large is the way to go unless you're cooking for extra large crowds routinely.

• Gator Bob,
    I started with a large this past March. I have been extremely pleased with it and it performs most of what I need from a cooker. I've added an X-Large to my collection this week to allow me cook more ribs at a time. While I'm only cooking for 3 of us, I often do large quantities to freeze so that the family has it available while I'm on the road with work. Its not uncommon for me to grill 20 burgers or pork chops at a time so the XL with the additional surface space is appreciated. You will be happy with either!

• Badger
    Badger Posts: 15
    Gator Bob,
    I just bought a large egg about 6 weeks ago - was thinking I'd get a Weber Summitt originally because my Weber Performer took so long to fire up to cook, so I wanted the flexibility of a gas grill as well. My curiousity and instincts took over and I bought the egg - I can cook on the egg in 10 minutes after starting if necessary, and the temp flexibility is unbelievable. Cook chicken at 300 and it is perfect (I hated grilling chicken on my performer, always too dry), or sear steaks at 1100 - it is the best grill I have bought, obviously. Not sure about the difference between L and XL, but the L is what works for me - and it is tried and true so you can't beat that. From what I have seen the XL is pretty new.

• Badger
    Badger Posts: 15
    One other thing - ribs come out perfect, there are a lot of methods described on this board, and I haven't had the luxury to try every one, but throw back ribs on with a platesetter (the one truly must-have optional piece of equipment) and cook at 225 for 4 hours, and it will be rib heaven.