Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reheating Frozen Meat

Someone mentioned reheating frozen pork in another message I posted & I thought I would share a technique that I don’t remember seeing on here before.

When I do a butt, I usually have a good bit of left over.  I like to freeze 2-3 portion sizes in a regular Ziploc freezer bag.  When I’m ready to use it, I will fill the kitchen sink with lukewarm water and let the meat thaw in the bag.  Usually only takes about 20-30 min.  Then, I put the meat in a double boiler/steamer and let it steam for a few minutes and & sometimes mix in a little BBQ sauce.   Works really well and keeps it from drying out.  Anyway, just thought I would pass it along. 

Comments

• Good topic this time of year.  Leftover turkey comes to mind as well. 

One variation I found a couple of years ago when i was looking to reheat pp at a tailgate was to freeze and seal the meat in Foodsaver bags .  Take it out of the freezer and drop into nearly boiling water for 10-15 minutes. Once thawed and warmed through pour into pan, mix in a little sauce or Coca-Cola (pulled pork) and serve.  Was very impressed with the finished product.

**One note, be reasonable (2 lbs) on what you freeze in one bag or you may end up needing alot more time than planned to thaw and heat.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I use foodsaver bags and distribute the leftover meat so the thickness is even before freezing.  Makes it thaw and reheat very quickly.