Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Can I smoke a turkey using a V-Rack?

Most of the the posts that I have seen about smoking turkey have shown the pictures of birds on the pedestal upright roasters.  I would think it would be fine to use a V-rack, but would like for someone who has done a turkey that way to reinforce my thinking.

Also what is the heat range that most of you shoot for with a turkey.

TIA
·

Comments

• SMITTYtheSMOKERSMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,312
    edited November 2012

Yes, we use the v-rack along with the BGE drip pan in the large.  It can handle a 15lb bird comfortably.  We cook at 325/350 indirect.   We pull when we get a 160/165 IT in the thigh meat. We have been cooking the 13/15lb birds in under 3 hours.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

·
  • Yep , been there done that , turned out great!
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
    ·
  • Yes you can, did it last weekend
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,350
    Here is a popular method using a more standard setup. 

Note in the pics MM is using a trivet so you can't really see it, but a V-Rack over the pan would work just fine as well.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
    Thanks to all for the good answers.  Going to do one this weekend.
    ·
  • i'm all rib rack every year for at least 7-8 years. works great

·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,223
    edited November 2012
    I'm "All In" like a newly released book :)) with trailers.  Been slow roasting/smoking turkeys on various equipment for 30+ years-only screwed it up once-and it was the Indian not the arrow!  You've got all the toys to hit the home-run. 
    Louisville
    ·
  • DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
    lousubcap said:
    I'm "All In" like a newly released book :)) with trailers.  Been slow roasting/smoking turkeys on various equipment for 30+ years-only screwed it up once-and it was the Indian not the arrow!  You've got all the toys to hit the home-run. 
    and it was the Indian not the arrow! 

lou, that's what I tell my boys about their golf clubs!!!!
    ·
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 2,266
    Duganboy said:
    lousubcap said:
    and it was the Indian not the arrow! 

lou, that's what I tell my boys about their golf clubs!!!!
    "Oh, come on Dad! If these clubs were bent to my lie, and the shafts were spine aligned I could hit them better!"
    XL BGE and Mini Max in Cincinnati, Ohio
    "REMEMBER DUANE ALLMAN"
    ·